Unfortunate slip up costs Hall
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP SEMI FINAL Mildenhall Town 1 AFC Sudbury 2 AN uncharacteristic moment of madness from Mildenhall keeper Ben Nower in extra time gifted Ridgeons Premier League leaders Sudbury a place in the final. Andrew Claydon fired the visitors int
RIDGEONS LEAGUE CUP
Mildenhall Town 1 AFC Sudbury 2
AN uncharacteristic moment of madness from Mildenhall keeper Ben Nower in extra time gifted Ridgeons Premier League leaders Sudbury a place in the final.
You may also want to watch:
Andrew Claydon fired the visitors into the lead in the second half with a drive from the edge of the box but 'Hall didn't let their heads drop and got back on level terms minutes later when, Niall Inman, won possession and cut the ball back to Chris Bacon who slid in to score.
Disaster struck for the home side late in the first period of extra time when Nower took control of a back pass and tried to take on the opposition striker Claydon; in doing so he slipped and scuffed his clearance straight to Paul Betson who volleyed into an empty net.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Nower made amends early in the second half by keeping Mildenhall in the tie with a spectacular save from a David Head shot.
Mildenhall should have forced a replay in the final minute of play when Rutherford flapped at Inman's corner and Vowden fired over from six yards out with the goal at his mercy.
Mildenhall manager Trevor Munns said: "I was very proud of the way the lads acquitted themselves. We played the best team in the league with nine players out and we took them to extra time. We gave it our best shot and could have even won the game."
# Mildenhall did enjoy league success when they defeated Needham Market 3-2 in league action on Saturday. Chris Bacon, Wayne Goddard and an own goal secured the points for 'Hall.