Underdog Ashley Sizer hits an impressive four over par to win Ely Golf Club’s championship cup
- Credit: Archant
Luke Ryan was unable to retain his title in the scratch handicap in Ely Golf Club’s annual championship at the weekend losing out to relative underdog Ashley Sizer who scored an impressive four over par to win.
Sunday’s event was played over two rounds on the par 72 course and saw some impressive performances from the players.
Among them was club newcomer Phillip Day, who despite having an handicap of seven, took the lead after the morning’s play with a on par performance of 72 gross.
Unfortunately Day, who joined the club last November, was not able to replicate such stunning golf in the afternoon and sadly finished with a not disrespectful 155 nett over the two rounds.
However, eventual winner Ashley Sizer with a handicap of six, Luke Ryan playing off scratch and Dale Isaacson with a handicap of 3 were all tied after the morning’s round.
So it was all to play for after lunch and underdog Sizer didn’t quite replicate his morning score of 73 gross instead headed for the club house with a respectable 75 at the final hole. He scored a total gross of 148 to win the trophy beating last year’s champion Luke Ryan by just one shot.
He scored 76 in the afternoon giving him a total gross score of 149.
- 1 Cambridgeshire individual diagnosed with Covid-19 Omicron variant
- 2 Multiple emergency services at scene after B1098 crash
- 3 Stolen caravans discovered on village site to relief of owners
- 4 Firm announces acquisition of independent planning firm
- 5 Trainspotters catch Duchess of Sutherland whistling through Fens
- 6 Man taken to hospital with serious injuries after B1098 crash
- 7 East Cambs Council bins green waste collections for seven weeks
- 8 A10 dualling facing new challenges
- 9 Christmas at Wimpole illuminated trail sparks into life as countdown begins
- 10 Dental practice plan move to industrial park
Dale Isaacson also managed to keep his play going to finish in third place with a gross total of 150.
It was double celebrations for Ashley Sizer who also won the day’s handicap trophy with an overall nett score of 136 - or a very decent eight under par.
Allistair Berry took second place hitting a nett score of 138 and Troy Steve finished with a nett score of one under par to finish third.
A club spokesman said: “Ashley Sizer this year’s champion, is considered one of the club’s better golfers but with a handicap of six he was not expected to win. So congratulations to him.
“Overall it was an excellent day of golf.”