U14s Unable To Bridge The Gap
ELY U14s were narrowly edged out 12-10 by a strong Woodbridge side in a game played amid appalling conditions. Despite a resurgent second-half performance which almost saw them snatch a win, Ely were marginally outdone by the indomitable efforts of the W
ELY U14s were narrowly edged out 12-10 by a strong Woodbridge side in a game played amid appalling conditions.
Despite a resurgent second-half performance which almost saw them snatch a win, Ely were marginally outdone by the indomitable efforts of the Woodbridge defence which held firm just long enough for the win.
Whilst the play was largely end-to-end in the opening exchanges, Woodbridge retained the ball well and had the lion's share of territory and possession. The home side finally made that possession pay as they took broke through Ely's defensive line to notch up two tries before half time.
At 12-0 down, Ely faced an arduous task to get back on terms but started the second-half strongly with Ryan Clarke time and again forcing Woodbridge deep with some measured kicking.
You may also want to watch:
Eventually the pressure from Ely told and Oliver Lovell-Jones dragged Ely back into the match with a fine solo effort. Not to be outdone by his brother, Jonathan Lovell-Jones then ran in a try of his own from some considerable distance to leave only a conversion to level the scores.
Unfortunately for Ely however, Clarke's effort at the conversion was heavily accosted the wind and the scores remained at an agonising 12-10 until the final whistle.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 9 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut