Tyler Goodjohn ready to enter lion's den in world title bid
- Credit: Kath Sansom
Tyler Goodjohn believes he is ready to fight amongst the world’s best bare knuckle boxers and is willing to do whatever it takes to be crowned champion.
The Wentworth warrior has been embroiled in a war of words with Luis Palomino, who holds the 155-pound Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship (BKFC) title.
Goodjohn stormed into the ring at BKFC 14 to confront Palomino following his victory over Jim Alers last November, a month before the ex-boxer's win over Charles Bennett.
“I want to be the best in my sport” Goodjohn told the Talk of the Fens podcast.
“I want to fight the best and if I have to get up to some antics to make the fights happen, I’m willing to do that.
“He’s the world number one at BKFC. I’m new to BKFC and I want to be the champion, so he’s the man to beat.”
Goodjohn has not fought in BKFC since beating Bennett in the United States on December 11, the first time he competed in a bare knuckle contest for 16 months.
Despite that, he knows that when the fight does go ahead on June 26, it will not be easy to preserve his unbeaten record against 40-year-old Palomino, who previously fought in UFC.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 10 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
“I’m not going to overlook and think I’m going to wipe the floor with him; he’s a good level fighter in UFC and has beaten some top fighters,” he said.
“It’s frustrating as I was told I would fight Luis Palomino on May 21 and before then, I'd been training for about seven weeks.
“I’m now going to have to take my toe off the gas and tick over until I know I can get out there.”
Goodjohn will look to make it four bare knuckle wins in a row when he takes on the Peruvian champion.
The OnlyFans star also hinted at a return fight in the UK in front of fans if the first bout takes place in America, which he said BKFC may look into.
“I’m putting myself on offer a lot online, calling people out, talking smack, but I’m backing it up,” Goodjohn said.
“If it’s a good fight, we could have a return; I’d win in his venue and I’d defend it back in the UK - how cool would that be?
“Send me into the lion’s den and I will bring that belt back.”