Two take steps on road to Olympics
TWO Littleport Judo Club members are to take the first steps towards possible Olympic stardom. Andrew Pickerill, 14, and Nicholas Johnson, 13, have been selected for the British Judo Association s World Class Start Programme. The programme is the first o
TWO Littleport Judo Club members are to take the first steps towards possible Olympic stardom.
Andrew Pickerill, 14, and Nicholas Johnson, 13, have been selected for the British Judo Association's World Class Start Programme.
The programme is the first of several stages towards national and international status, a system used to select players for events such as the British, European, Commonwealth World and Olympic competitions.
The boys will train every month with some of the nation's top coaches and they will be given the opportunity to compete abroad.
You may also want to watch:
Pickerill, from Wicken, a squad member for two years, impressed selectors again by winning a haul of medals this year. He won Silver in the British Schools National Championships and in international events in France and Holland.
Johnson, from Soham, achieved selection by winning Silver medals at qualifying competitions in September and October this year, he is the 2007 National Silver Medallist in his age and weight category and has attending Area Training Sessions during the year.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
Many promising young players are forced to stop competing beyond a local level without extra funding.
Any local business or individuals wishing to provide sponsorship should contact Ros Edwards, on 01553 840573 or write to her at 76 Back Lane, West Winch, King's Lynn. PE33 0LA.
More information about Littleport Judo Club is available at the Leisure Centre or by ringing one of the coaches on 01553 763973 or 01553 840573.