Two’s company for champions
Steve Presland and Geoff Brewster won Ely and District Cycling Club s annual two-up championship, recording 30min 47sec over 20km of rolling terrain. Five other teams took part in the tandem race around a Little Downham circuit, with James Carpenter and P
Steve Presland and Geoff Brewster won Ely and District Cycling Club's annual two-up championship, recording 30min 47sec over 20km of rolling terrain.
Five other teams took part in the tandem race around a Little Downham circuit, with James Carpenter and Philip Peacock second in 31:55, Martin Holland and Tom Skyes third with 35:07 and new duo Andy and Ben Stephens recording an impressive 39:31 to gain fourth place. Eddie Green and Ray Jolly combined for the first time to take the last place in a respectable 39:41.
Riders choosing to ride solo at the Ely event included previous season contenders Nigel Leadbeater, Ben Loaker and John Jermy as well as newcomers John McAndrew and Andrew Wills who all gave everything they could to turn the pedals. C.C. Breckland star Alan Newark still managed to give a top class performance, missing the 30-minute barrier by a mere 10 seconds but yet again setting the bar.
# The next Ely and District event will be the 25-mile Witchford to Chatteris course on May 1. Riders should meet at 6.30pm, at the Witchford Pavillion on Bedwell Hey Lane. Newcomers are always welcome.
You may also want to watch:
INFO: Visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
- 1 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 6 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 7 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 8 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 9 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 10 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache