Tuesday Night Football: Soham Town Rangers 2 Hitchin Town 1
Zamaretto Southern League Division One Midlands Hitchin Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 2 Soham Town Rangers made it six points out of six against promotion hopefuls Hitchin Town with a stupendous away victory on a crisp Tuesday night. Young Jamie Chamberlain s
Zamaretto Southern League Division One Midlands
Hitchin Town 1 Soham Town Rangers 2
Soham Town Rangers made it six points out of six against promotion hopefuls Hitchin Town with a stupendous away victory on a crisp Tuesday night.
Young Jamie Chamberlain started the match in goal for The Greens as regular 'keeper Ian Pledger was unavailable, in a largely similar line-up to the team that beat Bromsgrove Rovers so impressively away on the previous Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
Hitchin, who have been in great form all season and had only lost three games before the visit of Soham, started the evening off very well as they opened the scoring after seven minutes. The ball was played in from the right hand side and headed home sweetly at the near post to give them the lead and hope that they could get revenge for one of their defeats this season which came at the home of the greens.
The next 30 minutes were evenly matched though, as both sides sparred with each other without ever managing to create any clear-cut opportunities, until on 36 minutes, Soham's 18 year-old midfielder Josh Turner delivered a free kick from the right side of the field for the ever-ready Charles Libam to nod home.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 3 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 4 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 5 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4
- 6 22 arrests, drugs, cash and weapons seized in county lines crackdown
- 7 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 8 Heroin dealer kept machete at home
- 9 Rail volunteers recognised at awards ceremony
- 10 Sat nav 'takes one for the team' in bridge crash
It stayed this way until half time and one goal each seemed to be a fair reflection of what had happened so far.
Hitchin came out all guns blazing again in the Second Half and hit the post with a fine free kick and also went close on two more occasions. Soham were not to be denied another memorable victory though, as with nine minutes remaining, sub Andy Furnell passed to Dubi Ogbonna only for the Hitchin 'keeper to slip and Ogbonna rolled the ball into the empty net to seal a two one win for Ian Benjamin's cock-a-hoop side.
Hitchin tried to fight back and piled on the pressure at the end but Soham defended manfully and left with a win and three well-earned points.
Next game: Bury Town (Away) Monday, April 5, 2010.