Trophy triumph for Mark Farnham Schools of Tae Kwon-Do trio at Welsh Open Championships
- Credit: Archant
Tae Kwon-do aces from Mark Farnham Schools took top prizes at the Welsh Open Championships.
31 students from the schools took part in the championships at Cardiff University, and three fighters from the Ely branch achieved top three finishes in their fields.
Cerys Easey took third in her age group in the girls’ black belt sparring, as did Carrie Lord.
Lord also came third in the black belt team sparring event.
Over 1,000 fighters and 200 officials attended the show on May 22, taking part in pattern, sparring, destruction and team sparring events throughout the day, with the Mark Farnham Schools taking an impressive 16 medals home.
You may also want to watch:
On the same weekend, a special award was given to one of the school’s students it Bury St Edmunds.
68-years-old Jane Blunt was awarded with the ‘outstanding performance award’ for her participation in the recent Black Belt gradings, for which she received her third Dan Black Belt.
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 3 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 4 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 5 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 8 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 9 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 10 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
Mark Farnham was pleased to see Jane receive the award. He said: “We have been in the T.A.G.B. for well over 26 years and have seen an estimated 30,000 students gain Black Belt, and this is the first time this award has been witnessed. It is an extraordinary achievement.”
The Mark Farnham Schools are now preparing for their next event – the World Championships in Birmingham next month.