Trophy triumph for Mark Farnham Schools of Tae Kwon-Do trio at Welsh Open Championships
- Credit: Archant
Tae Kwon-do aces from Mark Farnham Schools took top prizes at the Welsh Open Championships.
31 students from the schools took part in the championships at Cardiff University, and three fighters from the Ely branch achieved top three finishes in their fields.
Cerys Easey took third in her age group in the girls’ black belt sparring, as did Carrie Lord.
Lord also came third in the black belt team sparring event.
Over 1,000 fighters and 200 officials attended the show on May 22, taking part in pattern, sparring, destruction and team sparring events throughout the day, with the Mark Farnham Schools taking an impressive 16 medals home.
On the same weekend, a special award was given to one of the school’s students it Bury St Edmunds.
68-years-old Jane Blunt was awarded with the ‘outstanding performance award’ for her participation in the recent Black Belt gradings, for which she received her third Dan Black Belt.
- 1 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 2 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 3 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 4 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Mark Farnham was pleased to see Jane receive the award. He said: “We have been in the T.A.G.B. for well over 26 years and have seen an estimated 30,000 students gain Black Belt, and this is the first time this award has been witnessed. It is an extraordinary achievement.”
The Mark Farnham Schools are now preparing for their next event – the World Championships in Birmingham next month.