Town prove they can live with best

PREMIER DIVISION LITTLEPORT Town have now taken four points from second-placed Cambridge University Press after prevailing 3-1 on Saturday, and stretching their run of games without defeat to nine. Port boss Dave Cullum said: They play virtually 3-3-4 s


LITTLEPORT Town have now taken four points from second-placed Cambridge University Press after prevailing 3-1 on Saturday, and stretching their run of games without defeat to nine.

Port boss Dave Cullum said: "They play virtually 3-3-4 so we pushed three players forward and our system worked perfectly."

Andrew Francis opened the scoring with a terrific shot from the left wing, and Ben Layn made it 2-0 with a shot in off the upright, after good work by David Cullum (jnr) and Francis.

Press pulled one back, but Nigel Smith - who had missed a penalty in the first half - squared unselfishly for Sean Ambrose to clinch the points.


Most Read

ELY City A had two players sent off against Whittlesford United, but still should have progressed to the second round.

They trailed 3-0 at the break after an appalling first half, in which Adam Scott received his marching orders, but then won a penalty which resulted in the dismissal of the visiting goalkeeper.

Dave Cornwell struck the spot-kick against the post, but made amends by scoring shortly afterwards to reduce the deficit to 3-1.

Jody Murfitt then became the second City player to receive his marching orders, for a second booking, but Cornwell reduced the deficit to a single goal with six minutes remaining and although Ely finished the stronger of the two sides, they were unable to bridge the gap.



FORDHAM will host Littleport Town in the last eight after scraping a 1-0 victory at Great Paxton on Saturday.

Jose Montero squandered a chance in the opening half, but the visitors relied on the form of goalkeeper Jimmy Watson as Paxton dominated the opening 45 minutes.

The opening goal came two minutes after the break when Ben Howe broke down the right and his cross was turned in by a home defender under pressure from Daren Pryke, and from then on Fordham never looked like losing.


HADDENHAM Rovers slumped to a 5-3 home defeat against high-flying Milton, but manager Andy Markwell was not unduly worried by the result. "It wasn't a fair scoreline," he said afterwards, adding: "Things are not going our way at the moment - if you make a mistake in this league, you get punished for it."

Kenny Holmes cancelled out Milton's opener, but he subsequently had a goal disallowed for offside and the visitors raced into a 4-1 lead at the midway stage.

Milton struck again before Holmes scored a penalty and then completed his hat-trick with 20 minutes remaining, but the second-placed visitors held on for a deserved win.


WITCHFORD 96 produced a battling performance to take all three points at Milton Reserves.

Michael Ward's goal separated the sides at half-time, and Aaron Spencer made the final score 2-1 after the hosts had pulled one back following Scott Spencer's mistake.

Isleham United meanwhile drew 1-1 thanks to a Sam Hedger goal at Bluntisham Rangers Reserves.


THE Vine and Pymoor FC both won, but Soham United Reserves remain ahead of their local rivals in second spot after a 6-2 victory against St Ives Town A.

Stuart Freeland led the way with four goals, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Harley Day - on his return from injury - and man-of-the-match Shane Sadler, but United were nevertheless grateful for an outstanding display by emergency goalkeeper Carl Djohari.

The Vine trailed 1-0 at Cottenham United A after 24 minutes, but went on to record a handsome 7-2 victory.

Man-of-the-match Dan Cowley scored either side of Karl Spencer's effort to make it 3-1, and further goals from Jez Cutter and Wes Hilditch took the interval score to 5-1.

Mark Higginbottom then added a sixth goal on the hour, and substitute Grant Spencer made it seven before Cottenham grabbed a late consolation goal.

Simon Law scored all Pymoor goals as the hosts never trailed in a 4-3 win against battling Brampton Reserves.

Fordham Reserves, meanwhile, did all the pursuing teams a favour by holding leaders Wisbech St Mary Reserves to a 1-1 draw away from home.

They trailed early on against the 100 per cent hosts, but Wayne Bell's penalty eventually earned them a share of the spoils.


GOALKEEPER Pete Brown was the hero for Burwell Swifts as his side put a dent in the 100 per cent record of Mepal Sports.

Darren Murfitt slotted home after 25 minutes to put the visitors in front, but they were denied a second goal by Brown's heroics.

Only five minutes remained when Lol Maskell's free-kick reached the far post, and Kevin Driver was on hand to nod the ball home to make the final score 1-1.

Tom Dytor scored Sutton United Reserves' only goal in their 2-1 defeat at Milton A, and Haddenham Rovers Reserves also scored once in the 5-1 defeat at Swavesey Institute Reserves.

Ely Crusaders meanwhile travelled to Wisbech St Mary A, and were unlucky to go down by the odd goal in five.

Ross Elliott and James Rolfe hit back for Crusaders, but high-flying Wisbech held out for a 3-2 win.


MARK Driver scored a rare goal - from the penalty spot - as Little Downham Swifts Reserves recorded a 4-1 victory at Longstanton Reserves.

His effort was sandwiched by a double from Gareth Draper, with Ian Jenkins having opened the scoring to put Swifts on the path to success.

Neil Green, Colin Holding and Mark Yardy were the players on target as Littleport Town A won 3-0 at Dataracks Elite, but Burwell Swifts Reserves twice surrendered the lead in their 3-2 defeat at Lode Reserves.

Tom Thatcher rounded the keeper after good work from Darren Lindsay and Brennan Powley fired home from the penalty spot after Thatcher had been fouled, but Lode - despite having a player sent off - came back to take the points.

The Vine Reserves recovered from Sav Patel's well-worked goal to win 2-1 against Isleham United Reserves with second-half efforts from Lee Jaggard - wickedly deflected from long range - and Mark Fimbo, but Wicken Amateurs lost 3-1 in their encounter with Outwell Swifts Reserves.

Wicken conceded a goal within 20 seconds and then trailed 3-0 at the break, but Nathan Sheriff fired home, after good work by Jamie Palmer, and the result could have been very different if Wicken had taken their chances.