Top team tumble
Ely III 12 Cambourne Exiles 5 ELY Tigers third team started the second half of the season in style, beating the league s top side. The early play was even but as the first half wore on the Ely pack, led by their superb hooker Jason Andrews, had the edge.
Ely III 12 Cambourne Exiles 5
ELY Tigers' third team started the second half of the season in style, beating the league's top side.
The early play was even but as the first half wore on the Ely pack, led by their superb hooker Jason Andrews, had the edge.
The Tigers' backs started to gel, with fly-half Jamie Russell dominant and Magnus Woodroffe a handful in the centre.
You may also want to watch:
Ely were awarded a penalty try after one of their backs was obstructed following a kick-and-chase from midfield. Russell converted for a 7-0 Tigers' lead.
Great breakdown play and forward pressure saw Ely dominate territory and led to Jason Andrews scoring from a pick-and-drive. Cambourne scored a breakaway try and Ely were 12-5 up at half-time.
- 1 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 2 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 3 HGV driver courses set up to help meet critical shortages
- 4 G's to help save Christmas for poultry industry
- 5 New Ely cinema, royal visit, Welney gets a hall and Thomas a new car
- 6 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
- 7 Yellow weather warning issued for Cambridgeshire
- 8 80 ‘pieces of graffiti’ removed by council in just six months
- 9 Triple judo Olympic champion to give masterclass for Ely Dojo
- 10 Lets get Cambridgeshire back on the buses says mayor
Ely missed some chances to increase their lead in the second half and the hosts fought hard, but dogged defending in the final minutes secured the win.
Ely skipper Wayne Marshall said: "The referee was great and made the match so much more enjoyable.
"It was good to see the continued progress of Luke Cornwall and Jerome Scott-Paul, who get better with every game.