Top team tumble
Ely III 12 Cambourne Exiles 5 ELY Tigers third team started the second half of the season in style, beating the league s top side. The early play was even but as the first half wore on the Ely pack, led by their superb hooker Jason Andrews, had the edge.
Ely III 12 Cambourne Exiles 5
ELY Tigers' third team started the second half of the season in style, beating the league's top side.
The early play was even but as the first half wore on the Ely pack, led by their superb hooker Jason Andrews, had the edge.
The Tigers' backs started to gel, with fly-half Jamie Russell dominant and Magnus Woodroffe a handful in the centre.
Ely were awarded a penalty try after one of their backs was obstructed following a kick-and-chase from midfield. Russell converted for a 7-0 Tigers' lead.
Great breakdown play and forward pressure saw Ely dominate territory and led to Jason Andrews scoring from a pick-and-drive. Cambourne scored a breakaway try and Ely were 12-5 up at half-time.
- 1 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 2 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 3 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 4 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 5 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Three brass instruments worth £20k stolen from church
- 8 'Energy and hope' on the agenda for new Ely mayor
- 9 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree arrives at Ely Cathedral
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
Ely missed some chances to increase their lead in the second half and the hosts fought hard, but dogged defending in the final minutes secured the win.
Ely skipper Wayne Marshall said: "The referee was great and made the match so much more enjoyable.
"It was good to see the continued progress of Luke Cornwall and Jerome Scott-Paul, who get better with every game.