Top Of The Table Ely Pick Up Another Win
HOCKEY Ely City I 3 Cambridge Nomads II 2 TABLE-TOPPING Ely City I travelled to Cambridge to face the team second in the league, Cambridge Nomads II. Ely were expecting a tough game. Ely started well when Chris Vincett scored the first goal. After 20 mi
Ely City I 3
Cambridge Nomads II 2
TABLE-TOPPING Ely City I travelled to Cambridge to face the team second in the league, Cambridge Nomads II. Ely were expecting a tough game.
You may also want to watch:
Ely started well when Chris Vincett scored the first goal. After 20 minutes the Nomads burst through Ely's defence and equalised leaving the score at 1-1 as the half time whistle approached.
The second half started much the same way the first half had ended, with the play staying mainly in the midfield, with neither side able to break the deadlock. Then Nomads broke away from a set piece deep in their half and scored from a penalty making it 2-1 to the home side.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
Ely gathered themselves for what was the most important period of play this season. After continued pressure Ely forced a short corner. The ball was sent right before being pulled back in to the centre for Man of the Match Tom Rutledge to shoot low and hard, deceiving the Nomads' keeper and making it 2-2.
With five minutes left to play it was evident that the determination of both to win the game was as equal as the score, but Ely held their cool and were awarded a short corner with two minutes to go. Rutledge scored and the game ended shortly afterwards at 3-2 to Ely.