Top clubs come together at tournament to remember popular local footballer
- Credit: Archant
Four of the region’s top football clubs went head-to-head to remember a popular member of the sporting community this week.
Ely City, Isleham United, Littleport Town and Little Downham kicked off the third instalment of the Stuart Seekings Cup on Monday – a tournament put together in memory of footballer Stuart Seekings who lost his battle with cancer in 2013 aged 30.
An Ely XI took on Isleham in the first game of the tournament and easily progressed to Friday’s final thanks to a 4-1 win, with goals coming from Shaun Calvey, Tom Thulborn, Alex Brown and Stamford Gemwa.
Josh Almond netted Isleham’s consolation goal.
The Robins will meet Little Downham in the final, which is to be held at Ely’s Unwin Ground at 7.45pm, after they hammered Littleport 7-0 last night.
You may also want to watch:
Admission is £2, with all proceeds going to charity.
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review
- 10 St Neots murder to feature in 24 Hours in Police Custody