Three members of Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club have been selected to represent Great Britain in the European Championships after a hugely successful month for the club. Michelle Housden, Fiona Cox, and Rachel Housden will compete in Denmark in August.
Three members of Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club have been selected to represent Great Britain in the European Championships after a hugely successful month for the club.
Michelle Housden, Fiona Cox, and Rachel Housden will compete in Denmark in August.
The girls caught the eye of selectors after they won medals in the British Championships in Alferton in Derbyshire last month. Michelle won gold in the Youth Figures, Fiona won silver in the same event and Rachel won gold in the Cadet Figures competition and silver in the Cadet Combined event. Fiona also won silver in the Youth Combined Figures event and just missed out on a bronze medal in the free event.
Helen Grey and Andrew Smith, also of Ely Artistic Roller Skating Club, will be competing in the British Championships next weekend at Haywards Heath in Sussex.
You may also want to watch:
Helen and Andrew had joined Michelle, Fiona and Rachel in the German Cup in Freiburg in May where they competed with top class skaters from Europe, USA and Australia. They performed admirably against teams from countries which have Government funding and are able to spend more hours training.
Ely Head Coach, Paul McIlhone, who is also National Director of Artistic Roller-skating, coaches all six skaters. They train at The Paradise Centre and Littleport Leisure Centre. People are welcome to come and learn to skate at the session held at The Paradise Centre from 1-3pm on Saturdays.
- 1 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 2 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 3 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 4 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 5 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Of all the places in all the city to park an uninsured 4x4