Tilbury late show robs Greens
Soham Town Rangers 0 Tilbury 1
A LAST-gasp goal from Tilbury robbed Soham of a point in a real scrap of a game at Julius Martin Lane on Saturday.
With the game in its 90th minute and seemingly sauntering towards a draw, Soham were rocked by an Alex Read strike that thundered low past Dan Bircham from 25 yards out.
The defeat, which extended Soham’s run without a win into its fourth game, saw the Greens slip to 18th place in the Ryman Division One North ahead of next Saturday’s trip to promotion-hopefuls Enfield Town.
Striker Dubi Ogbonna had the first real effort of the game after two minutes as he worked a yard of space on the edge of the box to fire a left-foot shot at Tilbury’s goal. Unfortunately for Soham though, Ogbonna mis-hit his effort and the ball was comfortably gathered by the Tilbury keeper, James Marrable.
Dan Cotton saw his free-kick from 20 yards curl wide and Ogbonna spurned another good opportunity after drifting in from the left wing.
The visitors lacked any real cutting edge in the opening half-hour but a couple of fizzing efforts from Eljay Worrell and Gary Henty kept Dan Bircham on his toes.
- 1 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 2 Mexican restaurant to open inside former Frankie & Benny's in Ely
- 3 Village road closing for five weeks for temporary barrier installation
- 4 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 5 Ex-soldier Rob on a mission to bring 'ideas and energy' to Ely
- 6 Soham tribute to 'honest, funny, intelligent and understanding human being'
- 7 Breakup and burglary! Couple's chaos after £101m win on Euromillions
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 10 Students ‘over the moon’ to receive letter from The Queen during project
The Greens’ best chance of the half came in the 40th minute as Scott Carter pounced on a half-cleared ball on the edge of the box and sent a dipping volley rocketing goalwards.
His superb effort was matched by Marrable however, who produced an excellent save to keep the scores level.
A lofted ball from midfield had Matt Robinson in on goal with minutes to play only for the striker to get caught in two minds and send a tame effort into the arms of the grateful keeper.
Ogbonna had another good shooting chance from the edge of the box after the break but with a couple of defenders left trailing in his wake, the striker dragged his shot wide of the far post.
After a busy opening 10 minutes the game all but petered out as the respective midfields toiled for dominance.
The game re-ignited in the final minute however, as Tilbury’s Marrable produced a game-changing save from Michael Simpson’s point blank effort, before the ball was distributed up field to Read, who settled the match with a show-stopping strike.