Tigers’ winning run cut short by Ipswich

Ipswich YM 28 Ely Tigers 27

BRAVE Ely lost out by just a single point to championship contenders Ispwich at the weekend.

The Tigers came into the game in superlative form, having picked up three victories on the bounce, but gave themselves just too much to do against a bruising Ipswich side, that usurped them at the top of Eastern Counties 1.

After three minutes of solid offensive work, Ely took the lead as Ipswich conceded a penalty for offside, Sam Benzie kicking the three points.

Having taken the lead, it was now Ely’s turn to defend; Ipswich attacked in numbers from which they were able to gain a penalty, drawing level with a neat conversion.

Ipswich maintained their domination; a strong forward move put them under the posts for a converted try. Ipswich continued their scoring run and a slick move put the ball wide out to their wing for a score in the corner.

Ely responded well and the forwards forced their way up the field. The ball came out to Ed Fahy, who dummied and dodged through the Ipswich defence to place down under the posts.

Most Read

Ipswich started the second half off with strong attacking runs, Ely were unable to hold them back and quick ball from the ruck gave Ipswich space on the wing to run home another try in the corner.

Ely’s comeback began with a hard-earned try from Luke Cornwell, a powerful forward maul allowing him to score and Benzie converted the two points.

Soon after Ely were back in their own territory, though, Ipswich gained a penalty and kicked a simple three points, distancing themselves on the scoreboard.

Some more solid attacking lines from the Ely forwards allowed fast ball for the backs. A deceptive scissor move, between Fahy and captain John Dibb, baffled the Ipswich defence, Dibb scoring a converted try under the post to put Ely ahead.

An additional penalty saw Ely up a lead but they were unable to withstand the YM attack for the final ten minutes.

Ipswich dived over for an unconverted try to put them back into the lead and, despite a late penalty kick opportunity, Ely were unable to recover.