Tigers whimper in Thetford lesson
Eastern Counties Division Two Thetford 22 Ely 6 THE Tigers title challenge was dealt a blow at Thetford on Saturday. A penalty, then a try in the corner, gave the hosts an 8-0 lead but an Ed Fahy penalty kick made it 8-3 at the break. Ely started the se
Eastern Counties Division Two
Thetford 22 Ely 6
THE Tigers' title challenge was dealt a blow at Thetford on Saturday.
A penalty, then a try in the corner, gave the hosts an 8-0 lead but an Ed Fahy penalty kick made it 8-3 at the break.
You may also want to watch:
Ely started the second half well, winning a line-out 10 metres from the Thetford line and setting up a well-controlled drive, but they rolled towards the side-line and Thetford drove them out of play.
The miss was to prove crucial, as Ely struggled to assert themselves.
- 1 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 2 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 5 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 6 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 7 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 10 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
Even when Thetford had a man sin-binned for a second late tackle that injured Sam Sanders-Hewett, they still continued to dominate play.
Fahy kicked a penalty to reduce the lead to 8-6 with eight minutes left.
Ely rushed into attack and Graham Parr was tripped by a despairing hand when he looked clear, and Thetford scored a try on the counter-attack with just two minutes left, and then again on the final whistle.
The result means that Ely win the league if they win every remaining match, but if they drop points, they will need teams below them to slip up.