Tigers welcome new captain for upcoming season
- Credit: Archant
Ely Tigers Rugby Club announced this week that Lloyd Palmer has been appointed club captain for next season.
Lloyd has played for the Dowham Road club since he was seven, only taking a short break when he left for university, in Cheltenham.
He takes over the role from John Dibb.
A spokesman for the club said: “Lloyd has been an integral part of our first team for a number of years and, with Joel Scott-Paul as his vice captain, the key objective for this season is promotion to the London leagues.”
Ely Development XV will be led from next season by Jason Byrne, with Will Marshall and Gregg Hill as his vice captains. The development squad will be playing in Eastern Counties III West next season and will be aiming for promotion.
If you are interesting in giving rugby a go or have moved into the area and want to join an active and vibrant club, pre-season training begins on July 1 at the club from 7pm. Training will then continue every Tuesday and Thursday for the season.
Our youth and mini section start training on the first Sunday in September and welcome all new players of all abilities.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 Pedestrian struck on Ely Road in Littleport
- 6 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
- 7 Arsonist firebombed GP surgery after doctors refused to give him heroin
- 8 Former Baptist chapel to be turned into four-bedroom house
- 9 Council bans use of agricultural land to extend garden
- 10 Councillor hits out at 'huge intransigence' over splash pad project
If you have any further questions please call Dave Walker, Ely’s director of rugby on 07712 229648.