Tigers set to ride
MILDENHALL speedway supporters got their first sight of the 2007 Fen Tigers side at the weekend as the team was introduced at the club s fans forum on Sunday evening. It was announced that returning fan-favourite, 21-year-old Jason King, will be the new
MILDENHALL speedway supporters got their first sight of the 2007 Fen Tigers side at the weekend as the team was introduced at the club's fans' forum on Sunday evening.
It was announced that returning fan-favourite, 21-year-old Jason King, will be the new captain this season following a hugely impressive 2006 campaign.
King said: "I'm really looking forward to it and I think it will do my confidence the world of good. Laurence (Rogers) earmarked me for the position towards the end of last year, he thinks it will bring me on as a rider and I think it will as well."
Team manager Laurence Rogers said: "He's got some older heads around him and it will be very much a team effort, with Tom P Madsen as vice-captain helping him and Mario Jirout and Shaun Tacey's knowledge to call on, there's plenty of experience that can be drawn upon and we will be doing everything as one unit, as a team."
The club held a practice session behind closed doors before the forum and Rogers declared himself happy with the exercise.
He said: "I think they all went very well, anyone can be world champion at practice, but they were putting together some good laps, some of the riders who will be riding together went out together and looked good and I think with the solid side we've got, we could be a surprise package."
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
The first meeting of the season will be at home against Sheffield in a challenge fixture, on Sunday at 4.30pm.