Tigers fail Southwold test
- Credit: Archant
Rugby Ely Tigers 7 Southwold 11
The Tigers were left to rue some sloppy work as they went down to title rivals Southwold, on Saturday.
Lloyd Palmer’s side came into the game with three wins from three matches played but showed some uncharacteristic vulnerability as Southwold took a decisive three points at the Downham Road ground.
The visitors were first to get on the scoreboard, with three points, when Ely were penalised in the twenty-two for offside.
Ely fought back and John Dibb darted through a gap and dived over for a converted try to put the hosts in the lead. Just before the end of the half, however, Southwold work some space wide and touched down for an unconverted try.
You may also want to watch:
The only points of the second half came from a Southwold penalty, with Ely kept at arm’s length by the visitors, who held on to claim the win and usurp the Tigers in top spot.
Ely slip to second place in Eastern Counties Division 1, a point clear of third place team, Ipswich YM. They return to action again on Saturday when they travel to Thurston.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'