Tigers claw back points after shaky start at Thurston


- Credit: Archant

Rugby Thurston 10 Ely Tigers 49

Ely Tigers got back to winning ways with a crushing victory at bottom-of-the-league side Thurston Rangers, on Saturday.

Following last week’s disappointing defeat at the hands of table-topping Southwold, Ely were back on form again and ran over seven tries in a dominant performance.

The win keeps Lloyd Palmer’s side in second place in the Eastern Counties Division 1, three points behind the leaders and a point clear of third-placed Ipswich YM.

Thurston started Saturday’s contest on the front foot and disrupted any possession the Tigers had. Fifteen minutes of play finally ended in a score when Thurston had a penalty kick under the posts. The kick was scuffed and Ely decided to run it out of their twenty-two.

Thurston turned the ball over in the following ruck and exploited a gap down the blindside to touch down for a converted try in the corner.

Soon after, Ely conceded another penalty in their twenty-two for hands in the ruck and there was no mistake from the hosts this time as they moved into a 10-lead.

Most Read

Ely responded well and capitalised on a line-out deep in Thurston territory. The throw was caught and brought down for a rolling maul, with Ricky Neale leading at the back.

The Ely forwards dominated Thurston and drove them over their own line for Neale to score a converted try.

Before the end of the half, Ely’s Charlie Coupland cut through the opposition defence and offloaded inside to Sam Benzie, who touched down for a converted try under the posts.

The second half was a one-sided affair as Ely’s fitness shone through. Man of the match Mark Ryder touched down for his first score early on.

Not long after, Joel Scott Paul took a quick tap penalty and passed to Ryder who dived under the posts for a converted try.

Ely forced their way into the opposition twenty-two and won a scrum. The ball was picked from the back by Ryder and offloaded to winger David Bainsfair, who crashed over in the corner for a converted try.

Ryder completed his hat-trick when he picked from the back of a ruck and sprinted straight through the defence and touched down.

The final score came a few minutes before the end when Coupland broke the line again and offloaded for McCarthy.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter