Tigers’ captain Tacey geared for testimonial
MILDENHALL S new captain Shaun Tacey will become the first rider in 20 years to celebrate a testimonial at West Row as part of the agreement when his contract was purchased from Coventry last month. The 31-year-old, who represented the Fen Tigers as masc
MILDENHALL'S new captain Shaun Tacey will become the first rider in 20 years to celebrate a testimonial at West Row as part of the agreement when his contract was purchased from Coventry last month.
The 31-year-old, who represented the Fen Tigers as mascot in 1989, joined the Bees in 1995 from Ipswich and was due his testimonial this year but with Coventry's success in winning the Elite League title, it never materialised.
Mildenhall legend Robert Henry is the only rider ever to be granted a testimonial (in 1985) for the club during the National League era. A date and format are yet to be set for the meeting in 2006 but Tacey has his ideal format in mind and wants to move away from the traditional individual and team events.
"Ideally I would like the testimonial to be a mini 16-lapper meeting which would offer the supporters something different and more exciting than the usual format," said Tacey.
"The annual 16-lapper at Ipswich is always well supported and entertaining and when I was captain at Arena-Essex (2001-02) we ran a 12-lap classic which was very popular. The West Row circuit is conducive to close racing and the thought of eight riders on track at the same time would prove exciting."
Those wanting to see their Norwich-based skipper before then need only wait six weeks until he takes part in the annual Telford indoor ice meeting for the fifth time.
- 1 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 2 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 3 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 4 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 5 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 6 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 Villagers can be proud says school head as Ofsted gives thumbs up
- 9 MBR Acres releases image of graffiti message
- 10 7 great places to get a bottomless brunch in Cambridgeshire
The popular event, which is in its twenty-first year, takes place on Sunday, February 12 and consists of an open championship, pairs competition and England v Rest of the World team event throughout the afternoon and evening. Further details can be found on its website www.telfordice.co.uk