Three teams in contention
ELY AND DISTRICT BOWLS LEAGUE Men s League NEWMARKET were denied the opportunity to claim the championship when their final match with Cottenham was called off. In the replay next week they need two points to claim the title, otherwise they could be overt
ELY AND DISTRICT BOWLS LEAGUE
NEWMARKET were denied the opportunity to claim the championship when their final match with Cottenham was called off. In the replay next week they need two points to claim the title, otherwise they could be overtaken by Soham A, with two to play, or Littleport, with one, but both require maximum points, and Newmarket have a superior shots difference.
ISLEHAM have completed their fixtures, but the point they earned against City of Ely, does not make their lead unassailable. City can take the title from them if they pick up eight points out of 10 from their outstanding games against Cottenham and Stretham, both of whom they have beaten earlier this season.
Afternoon League Division 1
- 1 Latino 'feeling' comes together for South American venue on launch night
- 2 Caught on camera the moment an otter came up for dinner
- 3 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 4 Combined Authority in freefall: how on earth did we get to this?
- 5 Ely by-election after death of 'marvellous' parish councillor
- 6 Model rail exhibition back after three years
- 7 Passengers 'thrown from seats' when train sped through Peterborough
- 8 Lane closed on A14 after ambulance and lorry crash
- 9 Eleanor becomes highest achieving contestant in mathematical olympiad
- 10 20-year-old dies following motorbike crash in Longstanton
FRONT runners Mitchell Lodge and Willingham, separated by half a point, both stumbled in the home stretch to teams fighting relegation - Haddenham A are safe, but Bottisham A will have to wait another week to know their fate. Fordham B will stay up if they get anything at all from Burwell, failing which, they will go down with Fordham A and Mildenhall, who came up from the second division this year.
Afternoon League Division 2
MATCHES rained off in the final stages mean that, as in the other leagues, the winners are still undecided. Favourites Newmarket A have enough points to ensure promotion, but they could be joined by any two of Hiams, Isleham and Chippenham. Milton's shot difference leaves them out of the reckoning.
Like their men's evening team, Newmarket A want two points from their last game to have their name on the winner's trophy again.