Things looking up after home wins

SATURDAY FOOTBALL By Steve Green PREMIER DIVISION FORDHAM and Littleport Town moved up to sixth and seventh spots respectively after comfortable home wins against sides in the lower reaches of the table. Jose Montero put Fordham in front against Eaton So


By Steve Green


FORDHAM and Littleport Town moved up to sixth and seventh spots respectively after comfortable home wins against sides in the lower reaches of the table.

Jose Montero put Fordham in front against Eaton Socon after just five minutes following a good break by Andy Short from midfield.

Ben Fuller's low 20-yard shot was helped over the line by the visiting goalkeeper as the home side established a two-goal interval advantage.

Most Read

The visitors responded with a goal five minutes after the break and, for a brief period, looked capable of getting back into contention.

Montero restored Fordham's two-goal cushion and Daren Pryke added a fourth goal before John Sands wrapped up a 5-1 win in the closing stages.

Littleport Town, meanwhile, warmed up for last night's (Wednesday) Premier League Cup semi-final at Needingworth United with a convincing win against bottom-of-the-table Linton Granta.

Nigel Smith opened the scoring after just 15 minutes, but 'Port failed to convert many other chances and were grateful for a tremendous save from goalkeeper Mark Brown, which preserved their midway advantage.

Chris Wilson's goal effectively put the result beyond doubt and substitute Michael Ward finished expertly after beating the offside trap to make it 3-0.

"We created so many chances but just didn't take them," said 'Port boss Dave Cullum. "At half-time, I said that we should have been four or five goals up, but instead it could easily have been 1-1."


ELY City Reserves moved six points clear at the top of the table with a decisive 3-0 victory at Girton United.

Peter Munns fired them in front when he shot through a crowded goalmouth and Stuart Seekings slotted home Ely's second goal after breaking clear behind the Girton defence.

The hosts did their best to disrupt City's rhythm after the break, but it didn't work and Munns headed home a left-wing cross to wrap things up with 15 minutes remaining.


HADDENHAM Rovers moved into third spot after coming from behind to win 2-1 at Cherry Hinton.

Will Ludbrooke got them back on level terms with a typical effort, and Rob Keane grabbed the winner after following up a blocked shot on the hour.


LITTLEPORT Town Reserves returned to the top of the table following a 2-0 victory at Bottisham Sports.

Scott Dews broke the ice with an excellent header, and Paul Starling made the points safe with a second goal for the visitors.


THERE was a crucial derby clash between promotion hopefuls Sutton United and Witchford '96 on Saturday, and it was decided by the only goal of the game in favour of the hosts.

United could have won convincingly but a Wayne Newman free-kick decided the match.

Stretham Hotspurs look to have secured their 2B status for another season after winning 3-1 at Milton Reserves.

Leigh Iball scored after 65 minutes to cancel out Milton's first-half opener, and Ben Page made it 2-1 with a brilliant low drive as Stretham took control.

Richard Brennan sealed the points with an acute-angled shot into the roof of the net with 10 minutes remaining.

Fellow strugglers Isleham United were also in action and earned a surprise 0-0 draw in their encounter with champions-elect Wisbech St Mary.

A dragged shot from Neil Parr was the closest Isleham came to scoring, but it was in defence that they excelled.

"They (Wisbech) got totally frustrated," said caretaker manager Colin Sheldrick, adding: "It was a fantastic result for us and I'm very proud of the team."

Wisbech had several players cautioned and had one sent off at the final whistle.


LITTLE Downham Swifts eased their relegation worries with a surprise victory at title-chasing neighbours The Vine.

"We're firing on all cylinders now," said Swifts boss Oscar Fuller after watching his side recover from going a goal down in the early stages.

Gareth Draper volleyed home Gary Hunt's deep free-kick to put the visitors level, and Adam Reckless made it 2-1 in the second half after good work by young Luke Williams.

Draper then made the points safe with his second goal of the game after 55 minutes, leaving stand-in goalkeeper Paul Bone to take the rest of the plaudits with an exemplary display between the posts.

Ollie Foreman was on target for Fordham Reserves in the same section, but his side suffered their first defeat in six outings as they went down by the odd goal in three at Lakenheath Reserves.


MEPAL Sports have re-emerged as title favourites after a 4-1 home win against Barton Mills Reserves.

But there was a blow for fellow contenders Burwell Swifts as they went down 2-1 at home to Ely Crusaders.

Swifts made a bright start but found themselves trailing to a Luke Schumann goal at the interval.

A penalty kick - won and converted by Wes Reid - put the visitors two goals ahead, and although Burwell pulled one back when Danny Jones nodded in Rich O'Neil's forward pass, they never really looked like getting a result.

Sutton United Reserves had "one of those days", according to correspondent Ed Frear as they crashed 5-1 at Exning Athletic.

Man of the match Darren Bate scored a tremendous solo goal when United were 4-0 down, but the home side were helped on their way by two brilliant goals, a Daniel Cox own goal and a penalty.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves, meanwhile, continued their amazing escape from relegation with a fifth straight win, this time at the expense of Wisbech St Mary A.

Jamie Thompson grabbed the only goal as Rovers completed a quickfire double over the one-time leaders of the division.


LITTLEPORT Town A moved into third spot in the table after a 3-0 victory against Burwell Swifts Reserves.

Jamie Doswell broke the deadlock with 20 minutes left as his 18-yard strike caught the strong wind, and 'Port could afford to miss a penalty before Neil Green and Calum Havis wrapped up the points.

The Vine Reserves, meanwhile, stay second after a 6-2 victory at Coldham United.

Mark Higginbottom struck after just two minutes, and he was on target again after Pierce Mason had grabbed his first goal of the afternoon.

Mason went on to complete his hat-trick in the second half, and Justin Challis was the other player on target as The Vine ran out comfortable winners.

Wicken Amateurs also won away from home, but only by the odd goal in five against basement club Dataracks Elite.

Josh Woodroffe missed two early chances before Jamie Beeton collected James Petersen's 21st-minute pass and lofted his shot over the keeper from 18 yards.

Dataracks hit back to lead 2-1 at the interval, but Jamie Palmer levelled the scores after a Woodroffe shot had been deflected into his path.

Then, with five minutes remaining, a Nathan Sheriff free-kick found Petersen in the box, and he tucked the ball into the bottom corner of the net for a dramatic winner.

Wicken just about deserved the points, but were grateful for a brilliant save from goalkeeper Johnny Gammon when the score was 2-2.

Isleham United Reserves had a close encounter at Lode Reserves, but they eventually went down by the only goal of the game.