The Vikings rule the land: Brown’s brilliance helps Ely Vikings Korfball team to title success
- Credit: Archant
Ely Vikings cemented their place as Cambridgeshire’s finest Korfball team after soaring to league success for the second year in a row.
The Vikings trailed their opponents, Cambridge Tigers, before their encounter, and knew that a win must be secured in order to lift the title.
Tigers roared into a 5-4 lead, before the Vikings hit back to take an 8-6 lead into half time.
A scintillating second half performance, including five goals apiece from Olly Watts and Chris Brown, four from Charlotte Marsh and one from Sue White gave Vikings a vital 15-14 victory, much to the delight of captain, Chris Brown.
He said: “It’s been a long, hard season with every squad member playing their part in the league title. It’s a fantastic achievement.”
You may also want to watch:
Brown’s final day goal tally saw him smash the CKA goal scoring record in a single season, with the Vikings man notching a record-high 63 goals.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 'I feel alive for the first time': Slimmer lost half his body weight in lockdown
- 7 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 8 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 9 Cambridgeshire hospitals busy and staff tired and abused
- 10 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress