The Greens edge club honours
BOTH Ely under-15 teams enjoyed some success in their final tournament of the year at Peterborough, on Sunday (December 10). Four goals from Dan Drewery and an Emma Gillett strike helped Ely Blues cruise to an easy 5-1 win over Peterborough B in their fir
BOTH Ely under-15 teams enjoyed some success in their final tournament of the year at Peterborough, on Sunday (December 10).
Four goals from Dan Drewery and an Emma Gillett strike helped Ely Blues cruise to an easy 5-1 win over Peterborough B in their first match.
Meanwhile, Ely Greens got off to a disastrous start and were on the receiving end of a 9-0 thrashing at the hands of Peterborough A.
The Blues and Greens then came head to head in a tight and intense encounter.
You may also want to watch:
The Blues lead 2-1 at half-time, but a turnaround in fortunes saw the Greens come back in the second half to clinch a 5-3 win. Both teams performed admirably, contributing to a highly-entertaining game. Michael Hart scored a hat-trick for the Blues, while the Greens' goals came from Simon Thompson (2), James Cox (2) and Dan Salisbury.
The Greens took confidence from this victory and went on to hammer an inexperienced Peterborough B side, who had to use an outfield player in goal.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 3 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 4 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 5 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 6 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 7 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 8 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 9 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 10 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
After going in 4-1 up at half-time, the second half became mere shooting practise for the Ely team, and the final score was 13-1, with Sam Arnold (5), Dan Salisbury (4), James Cox (3) and Simon Thompson the scorers.
The Blues did not share the same fortune in their last match, where they suffered an 8-0 defeat at the hands of Letchworth. The scoreline flattered the winners because Ely had plenty of scoring opportunities in an end-to-end contest.
The nominated players of the day were James Cox (Greens) for his all-round play and Kasia Parfitt (Blues) for an outstanding goalkeeping performance.
- All are welcome to attend Ely Roller Skating Club's annual fun skate and Christmas party tomorrow (Friday.)
The event will be at the Paradise Centre, in Ely, with the usual grade sessions from 5.30-6.30pm, and the party starting shortly afterwards, which is expected to finish at 10pm.
There will also be skating demonstrations from the club's international artistic skaters and hockey players and a special dance routine performed by the Ely Smooth Criminals.