Testing Conditions For Ely Cycling Club
ELY & District Cycling Club s meeting of April 14 saw riders tackle the popular Little Downham and Coveney 12 mile circuit in testing conditions. While the rain stayed away, a steady headwind made the open stretch of the A142 a tough return home. Listed
ELY & District Cycling Club's meeting of April 14 saw riders tackle the popular Little Downham and Coveney 12 mile circuit in testing conditions. While the rain stayed away, a steady headwind made the open stretch of the A142 a tough return home.
Listed as a two-up event where riders are encouraged to ride as a pair, Phillip Peacock and Steve Lightfoot set the bar at 30:54 as fastest team of the evening while father and son duo of Martin and Chris Brown pulled off a top ride of 34:32 to claim second place.
Andy Darly and Graeme Osler clocked 38:01 and husband and wife duo Colin and Celia Whitechurch rode their tandem to 33:36.
Of the riders opting for a solo effort, Alan Newark (29:21) pulled ahead of rival Jason Nixon (29:56) while Lee Desborough finished with 30:09.
You may also want to watch:
Some other impressive efforts included John McAndrew (31:45), Geoff Brewster (32:32) and Cliff Loveday (32:52). Ely hardrider John 'Turbo' Thorogood (38:07) was back in action after his epic 102 mile ride in the Cheshire Cat sportive ride. New rider and accomplished runner Chris Hardman posted a time of 40:12, using the effort as useful training for ambitions in Duathlon (cycling and running) this season.
The next event for the Club will be on April 28 at 18:45 for a 25 mile course from Witchford to Chatteris and back.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 7 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip
- 8 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 9 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 10 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
1 Phil Peacock/Steve Lightfoot 30.54
2 Chris Brown/Martin Brown 34.32
3 Andy Darly/Graeme Osler 38.01
Colin & Celia Whitechurch 33.36
1 Alan Newark 29.21
2 Jason Nixon 29.56
3 Lee Desborough 30.09
4 John McAndrew 31.45
5 Geoff Brewster 32.32
6 Cliff Loveday 32.52
7 Jason Ward 35.47
8 John Jermy 35.56
9 John Thorogood 38.07
10 Roger Taylor 39.18
11 Chris Hardman 40.12
12 Eddie Green 40.16
13 Ben Stephens 40.45
14 Jody Day 41.53
Martin Holland dns (broken spoke)