Terrific Tigers Triumph
Junior County Cup Ely II 45 Old Cantabrigians II 0 ELY welcomed Old Cantabrigians to Downham Road for their Junior County Cup game, whilst mistakenly Old Cantabrigians awaited the Tigers at Sedley Taylor Road, but hurried driving eventually saw the game
Junior County Cup
Ely II 45 Old Cantabrigians II 0
ELY welcomed Old Cantabrigians to Downham Road for their Junior County Cup game, whilst mistakenly Old Cantabrigians awaited the Tigers at Sedley Taylor Road, but hurried driving eventually saw the game start at Ely.
Ely were awarded the first scrum which set the pattern for whole game as the Tigers pack shoved Old Cantabrigians backwards. The Ely forwards and backs linked well, made offloads in the tackle and cleared rucks allowing the backs quick clean ball.
The opening try came from Pete Vousden taking a lovely pop pass from Magnus Woodroffe to crash over from short range, Matt Daybell converted for an early 7-0 Ely lead.
A poor kick by Old Cantabrigians allowed Kieran Kennett to go on a searing run closely tracked by Joel Scott-Paul who took a great line before being tackled by the cover, the back row cleared the ruck for the ball to go wide for Pete Vousden to run through the defence to score.
- 1 Boys, 13 and 17 killed in horror BMW crash near A47 in Peterborough
- 2 'Normally unacceptable' barn demolition wins green light
- 3 Motorcyclist caught ‘speeding over 100mph’ past police near Ely
- 4 Man in his 40s suffers ‘life-changing injuries’ in major crash on A14
- 5 Ely Heroes winner, Alison, attends royal garden party after three-year wait
- 6 Shoplifter who stole from store 10 times in five weeks handed CBO
- 7 Police take a tough stance as begging crackdown continues
- 8 Pupils ensure 'Eel-izabeth' comes to life for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 9 REVEALED: The 'gang of five' who want Dr Nik Johnson gone
- 10 New March station will 'help people to use petrol and diesel cars less'
Matt Daybell converted to stretch the Tigers lead to 14-0. The Tigers next score came as scrum-half Vic Cato picked up from the base of scrum and drew the winger before passing to Luke Cornwell to sprint in from 40 metres out. Before long, skipper Tony Czarnobaj dived over from short range for his first try of the season and on his birthday; the conversion was kicked by Matt Daybell.
Will Watts was next on the scoresheet, taking another pass off from the impressive Richard Nelson for a half-time Ely lead of 31-0.
The second half started with Ely spurning chances until Jimmy Gilborn scored. The conversion was kicked by Matt Daybell and the Tigers had an unassailable 38-0 lead. Richard Nelson was next to score picking and driving through the Old Cantabrigians number 10 who had faced a barrage all afternoon, Matt Daybell capped a fine afternoon with the boot, converting to make the final score Ely Tigers 45 Old Cantabrigians 0.
Ely skipper Tony Czarnobaj said: "This is just what I wanted, we haven't been putting sides away as I had hoped, but today I think we played some terrific rugby in the first half.