Teams gather for Ely tournament
TEAMS from all over East Anglia and North London come to take part in the 14th annual Ely Hockey Club tournament, one of the larger tournaments in the region.
At this year’s event there were 16 teams involved in a weekend gala of hockey with more than 250 players taking part. The eventual winners being Wild Geese from Kings Lynn and the runners up from Newmarket.
The tournament makes use of all three astro-turf pitches in Ely, the pitch at Ely Community College, Kings School and the club’s own pitch at Ely Outdoor Sports Association, over the weekend.
The games started at about 10am on Saturday and continued through until pm on Sunday, with entertainment and food provided for the players on Saturday evening.
The tournament was played in two parts – on the first day all 16 teams played five games to determine rankings. On the second day a senior trophy made up of the top eight teams, and a junior trophy of the remaining eight were played.
You may also want to watch:
Ely City Hockey Club is proud to be seen as a social club attracting players of all abilities and being able to provide hockey at all levels. For more information about your local hockey club see here www.elycityhockeyclub.clubbuzz.co.uk/ or ring Trevor Hopkinson on 740997.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment