Team Edged Out Of Title By Single Point
THERE was heartbreak for the Ely under 13s roller hockey team as they missed out on the league title by just a single point. The team came into the season ending competition needing just four wins to secure the Eastern Counties league trophy, but they wer
THERE was heartbreak for the Ely under 13s roller hockey team as they missed out on the league title by just a single point.
The team came into the season ending competition needing just four wins to secure the Eastern Counties league trophy, but they were denied the glory by a last minute equaliser in their game against Norwich, who went on to win the title.
The day got off to a good start with an hard fought victory over Cottenham, who ultimately had the inspired work of their goalkeeper to thank for keeping the final deficit down to a respectable 3 -0.
Ely faced off against league leaders Norwich in their second game, in a match both sides knew could either ignite or douse the flames of their championship hopes. Ely got off to a slow start and found themselves 2 - 0 down with a minute of the first half to go. However a good attacking move and well taken goal by Ryan Norton reduced the arrears to just one seconds before half time.
You may also want to watch:
The second half was, by contrast to the first, a completely divergent affair and it was Ely's fluid hockey that saw them surge into 4 -2 lead. With the league in their sights however, Ely were callously punished by two goals in the last two minutes which handed Norwich the most frustrating of draws.
Game three against Kings Lynn was easily won by Ely who pulled out all the stops to secure an impressive 5-3 victory. It was much the same calibre of performance that eased them into a 9-1 win over the Eastern Counties Select Team.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 4 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 7 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
- 8 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 9 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 10 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
Despite their impressive run of results however, Norwich managed to win the remainder of their matches also and they took the title by just one point.