Taylor urges one last push for promotion
RIDGEONS LEAGUE DIVISION ONE Hadleigh United 2 Ely City 2 ELY City s joint-manager Steve Taylor called for his players to fight for every point and not give up on promotion until it s mathematically impossible after this disappointing draw at Hadleigh on
Hadleigh United 2 Ely City 2
ELY City's joint-manager Steve Taylor called for his players to fight for every point and not give up on promotion until it's mathematically impossible after this disappointing draw at Hadleigh on Saturday.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors got off to a good start when a Simon Warren header gave them the lead after 15 minutes. Ely went on to dominate the play but failed to make their pressure count and Hadleigh equalised just before half time.
Ely resumed control in the second half and took the lead when the Hadleigh keeper failed to hold an Andy Chatters free kick and Robbie Mason reacted quickly to fire in the rebound.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Man found dead in March
- 5 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 6 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 7 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
- 8 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 9 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 10 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
Ely then gifted the home side a golden opportunity to level the scores when Dean Blackman gave away a penalty for a push in the back and it was gratefully accepted.
Ely threw everything at the home side but they were ultimately made to pay for poor finishing and complacency at the back against the relegation contenders.
Taylor said: "We were in total control for most of the game and should have won. We didn't put our chances away and it's always frustrating to concede from set pieces."
He added: "We've got some tough games coming up but we have a good record against some of the higher placed teams and we really have to keep fighting for a promotion place.