Take Chatt! Andy turns super sub
Ridgeons League, First Division. Ely City 7 Long Melford 0 ANDY Chatters came off the bench to play a starring role in a second-half goal-fest. The match was played in heavy rain and Ely were quicker to adapt to the conditions. Tom Beech opened the scorin
Ridgeons League, First Division.
Ely City 7 Long Melford 0
ANDY Chatters came off the bench to play a starring role in a second-half goal-fest.
The match was played in heavy rain and Ely were quicker to adapt to the conditions.
Tom Beech opened the scoring after 20 minutes with a quick turn and shot and Vinnie Long doubled the hosts' lead when his cross slipped through the goalkeeper's hands.
The home fans were treated to some wonderful football in the second half as City took complete control with quick, crisp, passing play.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 6 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 7 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 8 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
Nick Impey, returning from injury, scored the decisive third goal when he dribbled into the area and fired a powerful shot into the bottom corner.
Chatters came on in the 60th minute and had a massive impact, creating two goals and adding one himself.
Almost immediately after coming on, the Ely captain whipped in a fine cross for James Reeves to finish and, minutes later, he beat the goalkeeper with a low drive from just outside the box to make it 5-0.
Chatters continued to pull the strings as thunder and lighting came down and the sixth goal came when he swung in a delightful cross for substitute Martin Westcott to head home.
Reeves completed the rout in the final minute when he ran in and unleashed a fierce drive from the edge of the penalty area.
Ely boss Dennis Lightning said: "Andy Chatters is not used to being on the bench so when he came on he was out to prove a point - and he certainly did that.
"The ball wasn't moving very well in the second half and we were grateful that the referee didn't call it off. It would have been very harsh with us having such a big lead."
- Ely do not have a game on Saturday but their reserve team will be playing at home (2pm). Ely's next match is at home against Cambridge City in first round of the Cambs Invitation Cup on Tuesday (7.45pm)