Table Tennis Roundup
SOHAM Comrades II still without Tony Chomsky due to the effects of whiplash put up a brave fight against champions Fulbourn in division one before going down 7-3. Adam Speed spearheaded their challenge with two wins over Caroline Wright and Peters Zivtins
SOHAM Comrades II still without Tony Chomsky due to the effects of whiplash put up a brave fight against champions Fulbourn in division one before going down 7-3.
Adam Speed spearheaded their challenge with two wins over Caroline Wright and Peters Zivtins before going down 11-9 in the fifth to Terry Lane.
Comrades I with three wins by Kevin Gray with good support from Syd Dunster beat Impington I 6-4 with several of the matches going to five sets. A two man Soham team of Martin Freeland and Tony Everitt overcame their handicap and won all the matches played to ensure a 7-3 victory against Elsworth who had Roger Fensome failing to win a game which is a rarity.
Terry Lane often gets Fulbourn off to a solid start and he repeated the process in coming from two sets down to beat Martin Freeland in an 8-2 victory against Soham. Haddenham gave the Improving Mark Coles a taste of the first division to support Martin Cadman and Nic Rains against Fulbourn II, Mark Meunier was taken to five sets by Cadman in a desperately close match as did Jon Chapman whilst an injury forced an in form Dan Bates retirement but Fulbourn still ran out 7-3 winners.
Haddenham II gave some of their less experienced players a league outing as did visitors Fulbourn IV however brothers Tom and Ollie King and Jamie Coulson found it hard going against Tim Leek and his sons Howard and David and Fulbourn finished up 9-1 winners.
- 1 21st century agreement on future of 17th century pub
- 2 ‘It’s sadly coming to a natural end’ - restaurant to close its doors by August
- 3 ‘It’s been very rewarding’ - Letizia amazed by support for La Strega
- 4 Village barn struck by arsonists in 4am blaze
- 5 New bid for housing thwarted by Great Crested Newts
- 6 Littleport 'hit and run' on Victoria Street
- 7 Change of plan for A142 Mepal bridge works as July closures announced
- 8 Axing BBC TV news from Cambridge 'a backward step' says MP
- 9 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 10 Florist 'busier than ever' hoping to build from lockdown success
Comrades II 3 Fulbourn I 7
Elsworth II 4 Ely I 6
Soham 2 Fulbourn I 8
Elsworth I 3 Soham I 7
Haddenham I 3 Fulbourn II 7
Haddenham II 1 Fulbourn IV 9
Comrades III 5 Comrades IV 5