TABLE TENNIS: Haddenham have the last laugh in thrilling Ely and District Table Tennis Handicap Cup final
- Credit: Archant
Haddenham came out on top in a thrilling final of the Ely and District Table Tennis Handicap Cup last week.
The village outfit pipped Ely IV 33-31 after an entertaining finale went down to the final tie.
Haddenham’s Joe Holland had started brightly in the evening with a 3-2 set win over Jean Saunders, only for Ely’s Joe Turecki to pull them level with a narrow victory over Josh Curry.
Ely’s Valerio Rizzo then defeated Adam Curry, but Haddenham levelled via Josh Curry’s relatively comfortable win over Saunders.
Ely took the next two rubbers thanks to victories for Rizzo and Turecki over Holland and Adam Curry respectively to put the pressure back on Haddenham, who knew that they would have to win their last three ties to avoid defeat.
You may also want to watch:
And they did so with enormous courage and resilience with Josh Curry defeating Rizzo in straight sets, then Adam Curry dispatching Saunders 3-1, before Holland completed the come-back in the final tie against a heart-broken Turecki.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment