Swimmers set tough target
MEMBERS and supporters of the City of Ely Swimming Club will attempt to attempt to swim 21 miles – the distance across the English Channel – in less than two hours. The relay event will involve swimmers aged from seven to more than 70, including club memb
MEMBERS and supporters of the City of Ely Swimming Club will attempt to attempt to swim 21 miles - the distance across the English Channel - in less than two hours.
The relay event will involve swimmers aged from seven to more than 70, including club members, parents and supporters. The club is aiming to raise money for more pool time and coaching staff in order to open club places up to more members.
Chris Howard, chairman of the City of Ely Swimming Club, said: "Ely is the second fastest growing city in Europe. The swimming club is already at full capacity, with new members wanting to join all the time. We don't want to turn anyone away, so we need more sessions at the pool to allow more kids to join. Our problem is simple - until we get more members we just don't have the available funds to pay for any expansion. Therefore we are relying on donations from generous sponsors and supporters to fund this new initiative."
The challenge will see four lanes of swimmers competing at all times with each distance and time recorded.
You may also want to watch:
An average of 20 seconds per 25-metre length will have to be achieved to hit the two-hour target.
Mr Howard said: "Two hours is a real challenge and everybody is going to have to really push themselves and sprint at maximum pace. We just thought nobody has ever attempted to swim this distance at a sprint so it would be an interesting and unusual challenge for the club."
- 1 'My UK dream became a reality': World first sake brewery launches in Ely
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Shocks all round as police pull over 'white van man'
- 4 Man to appear in court after smashing police car window with sledgehammer
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Man in court over special constable assault and theft of alcohol
- 7 Transport company donates advertising to children’s brain tumour charity
- 8 Fire destroys family bungalow in the Fens
- 9 Gym’s ‘money for miles’ Children in Need fundraiser
- 10 High-flying 'humble' gymnast, 9, top of the tree on county debut
The swim will take place at the Paradise Pool, Ely on December 19.
Anyone interested in making a donation or sponsoring the City of Ely Swimming Club can contact the committee via the club's website www.elyswimmingclub.org