Sutton rower, 14, bags two gold medals at Cambridgeshire rowing competition
- Credit: Archant
A student from Sutton has won two gold medals at a rowing competition held in Peterborough on Saturday (June 30).
Matt Allen, a student at Witchford Village College, took home the awards at the Peterborough Junior Championships Regatta.
Matt, who rows for Rob Roy Boat Club Cambridge, and his doubles partner Ella Darrington entered the event as the only mixed crew. They came first in the heat and semi-final.
The 14-year-old’s double win comes just months after he took gold while representing the Eastern region at the J14 singles race.
A spokesman said: “The final was a great race with a convincing win from them to take the gold, Matt then went on to compete in the J14 singles easily making the final.
You may also want to watch:
“The final was a close fought battle with Matt taking the win to get his second gold of the day and his name on the trophy too.”
Rob Roy Boat Club Cambridge went on to take five golds and one silver, winning them the Victor Ludorum shield for the club with the most wins.
- 1 Biggest village in Cambridgeshire to get even bigger
- 2 Care home still 'requires improvement'
- 3 Bronze pig found at bottom of garden could be worth £10,000
- 4 Rapist on bail performed magic tricks for police and security guard
- 5 'Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into'
- 6 Flooding highlights outline of English Civil War fort as rain fills moat
- 7 Friendship and dating agency gets £114,000 funding boost
- 8 Campaigning for those excluded from government Covid support
- 9 Jonathan Van Tam’s mum gets Covid-19 vaccination at Cambs clinic
- 10 High life ends for Bentley owning drug dealer