Sutton blow three-goal lead against rivals

SATURDAY FOOTBALL REVIEW DIVISION 2B SUTTON United threw away a three-goal first half advantage as local rivals Witchford 96 soared to the top of the table with a stunning victory. Sutton were in pre-match turmoil following the resignation of manager Joh



SUTTON United threw away a three-goal first half advantage as local rivals Witchford '96 soared to the top of the table with a stunning victory.

Sutton were in pre-match turmoil following the resignation of manager John Buey, but they exposed Witchford regularly on the break to establish a 3-0 lead after just half-an-hour.

Courtney Harrison, Lee Read and Colin Coulson were all on target in that opening spell, but former team-mate Richard Martin crucially pulled one back on the stroke of half-time.

It was a different story in the second half as the hosts took control of the match for new boss Graham Eldridge.

Most Read

His son Sean grabbed a first goal in Witchford colours to reduce the deficit further, before Ally McDonald equalised and Scott Spencer hit a brace to put Witchford 5-3 up.

Matthew Keys netted a consolation for United in the closing stages.

Pymoor FC got off the mark in this section with a 6-1 victory at Lode, and Stretham Hotspurs were also successful away from home, winning 2-0 at The Vine.


ELY City Reserves dominated their match with Great Paxton from start to finish, eventually running out winners by a 6-0 margin.

Their first win back in the top flight came courtesy of goals from Jamie Smith, David Cornwell, David Harvey, Gareth Arter and a brace from Richie Murfitt.

Fordham lost 2-0 to local rivals Newmarket Town Reserves, but Littleport closed on the leaders by edging out Wickhambrook 2-1.

Jim Francis - making his first start of the season - broke the ice in the 15th minute after a brilliant eight-man move, and 'Port were worth that lead at the midway stage.

Wickhambrook netted an equaliser but they lost a player to a red card with 15 minutes remaining.

'Port took advantage and Chris Lupson provided an excellent 88th minute finish to win the match.


FORMER Fordham striker John Sands helped himself to a brace as Lakenheath thrashed Soham Town Rangers Reserves.

Alex Irvine scored in the first half to make it 2-1 at one stage, but the hosts were well on top and eventually ran out 6-1 winners.


HADDENHAM Rovers recorded their first victory of the campaign at the expense of West Row Gunners to lift themselves into 11th spot.

A Phil Harle hat-trick and a strike from Will Ludbrooke put Haddenham 4-0 up at the break.

West Row scored the only goal of the second half but it was nothing more than a consolation.

Soham United continue to struggle however, and they have now lost four in a row after going down 4-1 at home to Huntingdon United RGE.


ELY City A trailed 2-0 and 3-2 in their opening 1B match, but scored three times in the second half to snatch the points against Longstanton.

Stephen Tuck (2), Stuart Seekings, Michael Chow and Tom Hoppitt were the players on target for City, and the visitors had a player sent off near the finish as they tumbled to a 5-3 defeat.


LUKE Schunmann scored twice as Ely Crusaders won by the odd goal in five at St Ives Town A.

His opener was cancelled out by the hosts before half-time, but Jim Rolph put Ely back in front from the penalty spot and Schunmann snatched the winner after St Ives had got back on terms once more.

44-year old Bob O'Connor had to play 90 minutes as short-handed Fordham Reserves crashed to a 9-2 defeat at March Rangers.

Jonathan Cowling and Ian Butterworth scored for the visitors, but Fordham never looked like matching the 3B title favourites.

Mepal Sports were 4-2 winners over Newmarket Town A, but Soham United Reserves went down by the only goal of the game at Wisbech St Mary A.

Haddenham Rovers Reserves were unable to raise a team for the visit to Brampton Reserves, and three points were therefore awarded to the home side.


JAKE Drake and Matt Baker both made impressive debuts as Burwell Swifts won 3-1 against local rivals Wicken Amateurs.

Mike Edwards opened the scoring, Drake made it 2-0 after good work by Steve Elmore, and he subsequently made it 3-1 following an excellent cross from Carl Saxby.

Lee Yearn (3) and Nick Samuels helped Littleport Town A to win 4-1 at the expense of Hemingfords United A, but Sutton United Reserves surrendered the points at Exning Athletic after failing to raise a team for the fixture.


TOM Thatcher helped himself to a double hat-trick as Burwell Swifts Reserves shared an astonishing 14 goals with hosts Tydd United.

Thatcher accounted for the first six goals as Burwell led 4-1 and 6-3, but the home side recovered each time and it was six-all with 10 minutes remaining.

Swifts took the lead once more in the 88th minute, but there was still enough time for Tydd to earn a share of the spoils.

Emergency goalkeeper Tom Lewis did well as Little Downham Swifts Reserves went joint top with a great 6-3 win against Walsoken United.

Lewis Chambers grabbed a first half hat-trick as Downham took control of the match, before goals from captain Steven Martin, Andrew Lister and Lee Fuller wrapped up the win.


ELY Park Rangers recorded an astonishing 15-0 win at Newmarket Albion and are quickly making their presence felt in the top division.

Rory Hutton led the rout with a six-goal haul, and he was joined on the scoresheet by Dave Cornwell (3), Stephen Tuck (2), Tony Brown, Mark Brown, Andrew Lee and player-manager Brady Stone.

Senior Division rivals Triple-S did almost as well, recording an incredible 9-2 victory at Fen Ditton.

New signing James McCabe matched Jonathan Brown's hat-trick contribution, with other goals going to Stephen Bell (2) and Ben Fuller.

Wilburton Albion were in Division 3A action, coming from a goal down to defeat Newmarket Albion Reserves 8-3.

Will Ludbrooke scored four times as Wilburton edged into a 4-2 lead, and Harley Day scored on his debut to increase the home side's lead.

Mel Cornwell then scored twice either side of a Newmarket goal to make it 7-3, and Ludbrooke grabbed his fifth goal of the game in the closing stages.

Fox Burwell slumped 7-0 at home to Milton Sunday in the same section, but there was better news for Wicken Maids Head in Division 4A as goals from Liam Eley, Ed Richardson and Danny Wight earned a 4-1 victory over Cambridge Cosmos Reserves.

Little Downham United lost 4-2 at Teversham in this section, while in Division 2A there was a goalless encounter between YMCA Cambridge and QPR Ely.