Success For Ely Ladies Tennis Team
ELY Tennis Club s Ladies II beat Soham 6-2 in their final match of the season to finish top of the Cambridgeshire LTA League Division Four. Team captain Dawn Butterfield was delighted to be fit enough to play in the final fixture, having watched her team
ELY Tennis Club's Ladies II beat Soham 6-2 in their final match of the season to finish top of the Cambridgeshire LTA League Division Four.
Team captain Dawn Butterfield was delighted to be fit enough to play in the final fixture, having watched her team from the sidelines for most of the season due to injury.
Ely's victorious team - now promoted to Division Three - has included Sandra Ashcroft-Butterfield, Kate Findlay, Emma Grayland, Andrea Newman, Aileen Seabrook, Jennie Wallace and Julienne Yager.
The team's promotion means that for the first time, the Ely club's two Ladies teams will play in the same division next season, owing to the fact that the Ladies I team was relegated.
n Two recent grants are helping Ely Tennis Club to attract new players to the club - both young and old.
Starting on August 9, free Friday morning tennis is available to the over-55's, with the help of a club development grant from East Cambs District Council. The sessions will run on Fridays from 10am to noon during August, September and October, with a coach available on August 8, September 5 and October 3.
- 1 Popular food and leisure hub plans win over planners
- 2 £4.8m loan to transform office block into flats repaid
- 3 Doddington Minor Injuries Unit to temporarily close
- 4 Quick-thinking officer who stopped man jumping onto A14 honoured
- 5 Meet the boat hire firm aiming to become perfect 'stress-free' tonic
- 6 Here’s what you can expect at Ely Folk Festival 2022
- 7 Take a look inside £600,000 period home with 'outstanding charm'
- 8 Both drivers seriously injured after head on crash
- 9 Captured Cambridgeshire man 'charged with mercenary activities' by Russia
- 10 Santas learn how to put the Ho Ho Ho into Christmas
Contact Sue Didlick for more information on 07881 557984 or e-mail her on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Free junior tennis - for up to 28 youngsters - is being offered from September 15 with the help of a Young Lives grant from Cambs County Council.
The first group for 4-7 year olds will run from 4.30-5.30pm on Mondays for five weeks, with a second group for those aged 8-14 (5.30-6.30pm).
Booking is essential for the youngsters session, and can be made via Aileen Seabrook on 01353 741465 or you can e-mail her on email@example.com.
Pic cap: Ely Ladies II Tennis team (from left to right); Jennie Wallace, Dawn Butterfield, Aileen Seabrook, Sandra Ashcroft, Andrea Newman and Julienne Yager.