Success For Ely Ladies Tennis Team
ELY Tennis Club s Ladies II beat Soham 6-2 in their final match of the season to finish top of the Cambridgeshire LTA League Division Four. Team captain Dawn Butterfield was delighted to be fit enough to play in the final fixture, having watched her team
ELY Tennis Club's Ladies II beat Soham 6-2 in their final match of the season to finish top of the Cambridgeshire LTA League Division Four.
Team captain Dawn Butterfield was delighted to be fit enough to play in the final fixture, having watched her team from the sidelines for most of the season due to injury.
Ely's victorious team - now promoted to Division Three - has included Sandra Ashcroft-Butterfield, Kate Findlay, Emma Grayland, Andrea Newman, Aileen Seabrook, Jennie Wallace and Julienne Yager.
The team's promotion means that for the first time, the Ely club's two Ladies teams will play in the same division next season, owing to the fact that the Ladies I team was relegated.
You may also want to watch:
n Two recent grants are helping Ely Tennis Club to attract new players to the club - both young and old.
Starting on August 9, free Friday morning tennis is available to the over-55's, with the help of a club development grant from East Cambs District Council. The sessions will run on Fridays from 10am to noon during August, September and October, with a coach available on August 8, September 5 and October 3.
- 1 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 2 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 3 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 4 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 5 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 6 Envar deny responsibility for county's fly invasion
- 7 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 8 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 9 Prison escapees found with stolen £30,000 car thanks to quick-thinking neighbour
- 10 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
Contact Sue Didlick for more information on 07881 557984 or e-mail her on email@example.com.
Free junior tennis - for up to 28 youngsters - is being offered from September 15 with the help of a Young Lives grant from Cambs County Council.
The first group for 4-7 year olds will run from 4.30-5.30pm on Mondays for five weeks, with a second group for those aged 8-14 (5.30-6.30pm).
Booking is essential for the youngsters session, and can be made via Aileen Seabrook on 01353 741465 or you can e-mail her on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Pic cap: Ely Ladies II Tennis team (from left to right); Jennie Wallace, Dawn Butterfield, Aileen Seabrook, Sandra Ashcroft, Andrea Newman and Julienne Yager.