Stunning Comeback Earns Victory For Ely
ELY City booked their place in the semi-finals of the Cambs Invitation Cup after a stunning comeback saw them triumph 3-2 over Soham Town Rangers. The Robins looked to be dead and buried after going two goals behind midway through the first half but strik
ELY City booked their place in the semi-finals of the Cambs Invitation Cup after a stunning comeback saw them triumph 3-2 over Soham Town Rangers.
The Robins looked to be dead and buried after going two goals behind midway through the first half but strikes from Brady Stone, Dave Smith and a fine effort by Robbie Mason late on handed them the victory.
Ely chairman Bob Button, said: "I think we deserved it in the end, we battled hard and hung in there when we went 2-0 down and to get the three goals back was a great effort."
Although the early stages of the game were an open affair it was Soham who drew first blood, making the most of two defensive errors to open up a 2-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
Ely rallied after the set-back though, and Stone latched onto a now trademark Ben Lawrence long throw to nod home minutes short of half time, giving the Robins a modicum of hope.
Ely came out all guns blazing for the second half and were back on level terms not long after hostilities had resumed when Smith netted.
- 1 Motion calls for community housing review in four villages
- 2 Father-of-five murdered due to 'drug deal dispute gone wrong'
- 3 WATCH: The Fens celebrates its own 'Ark of Triumph'
- 4 Over 100 modern slavery victims rescued in Cambridgeshire
- 5 Man found dead in March
- 6 Jail for 'despicable' burglary on 93-year-old man with dementia
- 7 MP oversees climate change mock debate at Ely College
- 8 HMO or flats divide councils but what happens to rest of hotel?
- 9 Church to hold churchyards training day
- 10 Pubs team up to raise £3,500 for British Heart Foundation
Keen to press home their advantage, Ely piled forward and their endeavour was rewarded when Mason made the most of Soham keeper Lea Jordan's indecision by collected a high ball and rifling home to send the visiting support into raptures.
The win sets up a mouth-watering semi-final tie against Cambridge City for Ely, to be played on March 3.