Strong start for girls in school’s first tournament
- Credit: Archant
Tennis The King’s Ely senior girls’ tennis squad took on Wyggeston College and Bedford Girls in the first round of the National Aegon Team Tennis Competition last week.
Although it was the first time that the school has entered the competition, which is open to anyone with a rating between 7.1 and 10.2, the girls put in a strong performance, finishing in second place.
The format was a singles set each and two doubles matches, and four girls could play in each match. After losing to Bedford in the first match, the Ely girls were determined to win their second match against Wyggeston College.
Natta Pornsirianant and Danel Azimova won their singles matches 6-2 and 6-0 respectively. To win the match, the team had to win both of the doubles games.
Laura Huffer and Natta came away with a 6-4 win, and Danel and Caroline Shropshire played a fantastic game, coming from 5-1 behind to win in a tie-break 7-5. Their comeback meant King’s Ely won the fixture and came second overall in the first round of the competition.
You may also want to watch:
Team coach Sebastien Scaux, said: “We are all extremely proud of the way in which the girls played.”
- 1 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 2 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 3 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 4 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 5 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 6 Child rapist from St Ives has been jailed after abuse
- 7 Woman delighted to finally be a mum after infertility heartache
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Teen rape case prompts city market safety review