Strong performance from the ladies
Ely and District Cycling Club WITH just a hint of spring-like weather in the air, yet still a testing wind out on the road, Tuesday 25th saw a good turnout of local cyclists for Ely and District Cycling Club s evening event over the Witchford-Sutton cours
Ely and District Cycling Club
WITH just a hint of spring-like weather in the air, yet still a testing wind out on the road, Tuesday 25th saw a good turnout of local cyclists for Ely and District Cycling Club's evening event over the Witchford-Sutton course.
Celia Whitechurch rode a strong 30:25 over the technical course which offers up the punishing gradient of 'Snake Hill' towards the finish at Witchford. Celias efforts were enough to seal the best ladies time of the evening as Carly Wilson recorded a creditable 32:19. The event was Carly's first turn out for an Ely event this season and looks set to improve on what was a great 2005 for the young rider.
Other riders making a welcome return to the leaderboard included Nigel Leadbeater (29:58), Kevin Spalding (28:25) and a very much improved Cliff Loveday. Cliff appeared to have had a highly successful winter training programme as he posted a superb 26:32 and in the process got into the mix with Andy Clarke (25:52) and Darren Cole (26:49) to yet again add some dynamism to the overall standings.
On his way back to form, Colin Whitechurch turned in a solid ride with 24:09 to leave Geoff Brewster and Alan Newark to record the fastest of the evening with 23:45 and 23:23 respectively.
The evening would not be possible without the stirling efforts of Time Keeper officiandos Brian Cooper and Roy Benstead who endure all weathers to stand at the side of the road in the name of cycling.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Mike Rouse, councillor, former mayor and historian, dies aged 82
- 3 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 4 Mike Rouse: A lifetime's passion for books and literature
- 5 'A little talent very thinly spread' Mike Rouse, in his own words
- 6 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
- 7 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 8 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 9 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 10 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
The next event for the club will be on May 9 for a 15-mile circuit from Sutton to Earith through Haddenham and back. Riders should meet at the Elean industrial estate, Sutton, at least 15 minutes before the official start time of 7pm. Everyone is welcome to come and have a go.
For more details check out the website www.elycyclingclub.com or telephone Marc Cox on 01353 749507.
Alternatively, take a look on the message board at www.phpbbplanet.com/ forum/edcc.html and ask about anything cycling.
1 Alan Newark 23.23
2 Geoff Brewster 23.45
3 Colin Whitechurch 24.09
4 Andy Clarke 25.52
5 Cliff Loveday 26.32
6 Darren Cole 26.49
7 Richard Winrow 27.43
8 Martin Holland 27.51
9 Kevin Spalding 28.25
10 Eddie Green 29.15
12 Nigel Leadbeater 29.58
13 Celia Whitechurch 30.25
14 Carly Wilson 32.19
15 Ray Jolly 33.28
16 Harvey Leadbeater 34.52