Strong Performance For Ely In Great East Run
A STRONG performance from Ely Runners John Manlow and Stephen Pettit secured them both top ten finishes in the gruelling 20 kilometre Great East Run. Both runners worked their way through a field of over 400 competitors to secure fifth and seventh places
A STRONG performance from Ely Runners' John Manlow and Stephen Pettit secured them both top ten finishes in the gruelling 20 kilometre Great East Run.
Both runners worked their way through a field of over 400 competitors to secure fifth and seventh places respectively, with personal best times to boot for the pair.
Although Manlow eventually finished ahead of his club-mate, it was Pettit who set the early pace as he set out with the leading group, eager to stretch the field. As the race wore on however, Manlow began to gain back on the leaders as his intelligent race tactics paid dividends.
In the latter stages of the race there were several runners in contention for the top places with Manlow and Pettit in the mix, but they couldn't quite hold on to the leading pack despite both finishing in personal best times.
You may also want to watch:
The Great East Run, a British Association of Road Racers (BARR) gold standard race, is a well known 20k road race held in the Suffolk town of Bungay which attracts some of the region's finest road racers.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 3 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 4 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 7 Three charged after £2m Hotpoint arson attack
- 8 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 9 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 10 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?