NON-LEAGUE FOOTBALL: Soham Town Rangers assistant boss calls for patience during pre-season
- Credit: Archant
Erkan Okay has urged Soham Town Rangers fans to be patient ahead of the new season.
The Greens management team of player/assistant boss Okay and player/manager Robbie Mason are yet to make any new signings for the 2018/19 campaign.
But there is certainly no sense of panic from the men at the Julius Martin Lane helm. They are happy with how pre-season is progressing.
“It’s clear that some supporters have been frustrated with us not making any signings,” said Okay.
“But we have to take our time as we don’t have cash to splash. We have to ensure we bring in the right players at the right price.
You may also want to watch:
“Our priority this summer is retaining the players who did so well for us – and put in so much hard graft – last season.
“The vast majority of those lads have returned for pre-season training and it’s looking very positive that they will stay.
- 1 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 2 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 3 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 4 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry
- 5 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 6 Sparkling sake brewery launches in Ely
- 7 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 8 Man, 20, rapes woman as she slept, court told
- 9 City short-listed to house Museum of Brexit
- 10 Bid to ban ex- mayor running pub “a joke” says cabinet member
“That gives us a good core of players to work with and we have a couple of potential new signings training with us as well.
“We’re keen to bring them in and hopefully we are creating a decent impression. We can offer the opportunity to progress by playing at a good level of football.”
Striker Sam Mulready, who struck nine goals after returning to the club during last season, has confirmed publicly that he will be staying at the club.
Soham have their first friendly on Tuesday when they travel to higher-level St Ives Town.
That’s the first of eight outings this summer in preparation for the new Bostik North Division campaign which gets underway on August 11.
Full pre-season schedule: July 10 vs St Ives (A), July 14 vs Lowestoft Tn (A), July 17 vs Chatteris Tn (A), July 20 vs Royston Tn (H), July 24 vs Downham Tn (A), July 28 v St Neots Tn (A), July 31 vs Histon (A), August 4 vs Pboro Sports (A).
* Former Rangers man Connor Wood has earned a move to League One club Bradford City. The defender, who made 50 appearances for the club in the 2013/14 season, has spent the past two years in Leicester City’s development squad.
* Soham have appointed a new manager for their reserve side.
Lee Taylor has been handed the reins of the club’s second string who play in Kershaw Senior A Division of the Cambs League.
Taylor has been involved at Ely City and Witchford in the past while also managing the Streatham side on Sundays.