Stone aiming for improvement as new-look Ely prepare for season opener
- Credit: Archant
Football Brady Stone has set his sights on a solid mid-table finish for his Ely City side as they prepare for the start of the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division campaign on Saturday.
The Robins are set to welcome Walsham le Willows to the Unwin Ground on Saturday and Stone is hoping to get the new season off to a flying start.
He said: “Last season we only managed to win one league game at home so that is something we want to change. If we can get our home form sorted, and pick up a few wins on the road as well, that will make for a good season for us.
“We are going to try and get the ball down and play this year. We are not going to fear anyone and we will be going for wins. We want a mid-table finish in the league and some good cup runs, too.”
Stone said he was still looking to add a few more faces to his 16-man squad in order to “create plenty of competition for places”.
Stone added that he has appointed James Seymour, who progressed from the Robins reserves side last year, as club captain. Lee Pacey, last season’s skipper, has left the club.
After Saturday’s season opener, Ely will be in action again on Tuesday when they welcome Fakenham Town to the Unwin Ground.
- 1 One arrest and cars seized on busy day for cops
- 2 Cinderella makes a comeback thanks to Players' Christmas pantomime
- 3 Cambridgeshire's Enhanced Area Status extended amid Covid surge in schools
- 4 Robber attempts to steal scratch card and alcohol from convenience store
- 5 Woman wins right to build annexe to home
- 6 Mother pays tribute to “much-loved” son who died near Fen Drayton
- 7 80 homes threaten access to ‘rural haven of rare beauty’
- 8 Dental practice plan move to business park
- 9 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 10 Big Christmas lights switch-on arrives
Ely’s director of football, Sam Turner, added: “We are very hopeful of a successful season. We have a young squad that are the future of our club, we have made some fresh signing and we are very happy with the progress we are making.
“We ask the fans to come out in force this season as we all look forward to a successful campaign.
“There is a really good feeling around the club at the moment with everyone pulling together and working hard to fulfil a bright future for the club.”
On Saturday, Ely completed their pre-season campaign with a 3-0 defeat at Hardwick.