Stock car star Carl Waterfield from Ely is set for world finals after tense win in King’s Lynn
- Credit: Archant
It was a close race for Carl Waterfield this weekend - but the Ely stock car star has now been established as a firm frontrunner for this year’s world final.
The 2L stock car driver won the meeting final at the Adrian Flux Arena at King’s Lynn on Saturday.
He made good early running in the race but was slapped wide into the fence at half distance by Lee Sampson – who had earlier won a heat – in what looked like a race winning manouvere for Sampson.
However, Waterfield did not read the script and during the next six laps consistently posted the fastest time on each lap as he inched closer and closer to the Sampson car.
With three laps to go Waterfield was right on the back bumper of Sampson but rather than make his move he bided his time until the very last bend.
Sampson knew what was coming and in a desperate bid to prevent Waterfield firing him wide on the final bend anchored up going down the back straight for the last time.
In the ensuing game of cat and mouse Waterfield got on the inside and forced Sampson wide.
- 1 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 2 Weekend closure for A142 for bridge works between Ely and Chatteris
- 3 Inside the £165,000 luxury river boat for sale in the Fens
- 4 Village toasts Queen's Platinum Jubilee with a memorable touch
- 5 Coach shocked as girls football idea goes from strength to strength
- 6 Princess Anne unveils new 'national treasure' Jubilee table in Ely
- 7 See inside this Grade II listed former pub with self-contained annexe
- 8 ‘If it wasn’t for NICU I possibly wouldn’t be here today’ - Darren fundraising for Addenbrooke's
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Table made from 5,000-year-old oak tree to be unveiled at Ely Cathedral in honour of The Queen
Sampson desperately floored his car and aimed to connect with the rear quarter of the Waterfield machine but the canny Ely driver kept his car out of the reach of the Sampson attack and took the chequered flag and a popular victory.
It was a good night in the Saloons for Ely based drivers with Sid Madgwick completing the distance in the main race in fourth place and Tom Allsop coming home in tenth.
Earlier in the night the 2L stock cars had staged a charity ladies race which was sponsored by Two Counties Storage Solutions.
Stock Car and Banger Racing returns to King’s Lynn on June 30 when the 2L stock cars are back in town with racing also coming from the Unlimited Bangers who will be contesting the War of the Worlds and the Reliant Robins.
Stock car racing is a form of automobile racing found mainly in the United States and Canada.