A shock result at Ely and District Cycling Club s latest time trial lit the blue touch paper for what is shaping up to be an entertaining season. Steve Presland s rich vein of form continued as he beat Geoff Brewster to first place, almost a minute faster
A shock result at Ely and District Cycling Club's latest time trial lit the blue touch paper for what is shaping up to be an entertaining season.
Steve Presland's rich vein of form continued as he beat Geoff Brewster to first place, almost a minute faster than his Ely club-mate, with 24min 04sec to Brewster's 24:49.
Conditions were far from ideal over the 10-mile course of the A142, but Andy 'Cyclone' Clarke still managed a recorded a superb 25:09, within striking distance of Brewster's hard-fought second place.
Some spirited riding from tandem team Colin and Celia Whitechurch blasted a trail from Sutton to Ely and back, thundering their machine towards a 24:50 at the line.
You may also want to watch:
Ely man Cliff Loveday began his evening season with steady 27:36, while club stalwart John Jermy returned with a decent 30:24.
Ray Jolly picked up the coveted Lantern Rouge for the hardest-fought time of the evening, 32:24, with Eddie Green just missing out with an impressive 31:25.
- 1 Binmen revolt over alleged bullying, poor pay, low morale and staffing crisis
- 2 Woman pedestrian in her 50s killed in guided busway crash
- 3 Ely Cathedral hosts legendary jockey Frankie Dettori's only book signing
- 4 Plans revealed for new A10 pedestrian bridge
- 5 Retired murder detective, Russell, releases first book in new crime series
- 6 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 7 Covid-19 vaccine myths ‘biggest challenge’ in progress
- 8 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 9 Memorial stone for Cambridge student laid hidden in undergrowth for 80 years
- 10 Three people arrested in Somersham after stash of Cannabis found in car
The next event for the club will be on Tuesday, the 10-mile Witchford-Sutton course. Riders should meet about 15 minutes before the official start time of 6.45pm at the Witchford Pavillion, Bedwell Hey Lane. Beginners are welcome. No specialist equipment is needed, but a helmet is advised.
For more information, visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
# Andy Clarke is pictured on his way to third place. Photo: SUPPLIED