A shock result at Ely and District Cycling Club s latest time trial lit the blue touch paper for what is shaping up to be an entertaining season. Steve Presland s rich vein of form continued as he beat Geoff Brewster to first place, almost a minute faster
A shock result at Ely and District Cycling Club's latest time trial lit the blue touch paper for what is shaping up to be an entertaining season.
Steve Presland's rich vein of form continued as he beat Geoff Brewster to first place, almost a minute faster than his Ely club-mate, with 24min 04sec to Brewster's 24:49.
Conditions were far from ideal over the 10-mile course of the A142, but Andy 'Cyclone' Clarke still managed a recorded a superb 25:09, within striking distance of Brewster's hard-fought second place.
Some spirited riding from tandem team Colin and Celia Whitechurch blasted a trail from Sutton to Ely and back, thundering their machine towards a 24:50 at the line.
Ely man Cliff Loveday began his evening season with steady 27:36, while club stalwart John Jermy returned with a decent 30:24.
Ray Jolly picked up the coveted Lantern Rouge for the hardest-fought time of the evening, 32:24, with Eddie Green just missing out with an impressive 31:25.
- 1 EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt ‘to work at restaurant in Cambridgeshire’
- 2 Inferno BBQ to be occupied by sister company Forbidden Burger Co
- 3 Cambridge: Police officer had surgery after sex offender drove car at them
- 4 'Gas engineer' reportedly stole two phones and a purse in Haddenham
- 5 Middlesbrough couple found in Cambs with drugs worth around £37,000
- 6 See inside this £1.7m country house with its own lake near Ely
- 7 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 8 Superintendent dons rainbow helmet against hate crime on #IDAHOBIT
- 9 Village café battles Covid-19 delays to raise over £1,700
- 10 Yarn-bombing returns to city ahead of the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee
The next event for the club will be on Tuesday, the 10-mile Witchford-Sutton course. Riders should meet about 15 minutes before the official start time of 6.45pm at the Witchford Pavillion, Bedwell Hey Lane. Beginners are welcome. No specialist equipment is needed, but a helmet is advised.
For more information, visit www.elycyclingclub.com or call Marc Cox on 01223 263862.
# Andy Clarke is pictured on his way to third place. Photo: SUPPLIED