Steve’s simply sub-perb

KERSHAW PREMIER DIVISION ELY City Reserves continued their fine start to the campaign with a 2-1 victory at Needingworth United. Ely s Andrew Lee broke the deadlock after 30 minutes but the home side netted an equaliser on the stroke of half-time. Bu



ELY City Reserves continued their fine start to the campaign with a 2-1 victory at Needingworth United.

Ely's Andrew Lee broke the deadlock after 30 minutes but the home side netted an equaliser on the stroke of half-time.

But it was City's day and substitute Steve Pollard grabbed the winner with 20 minutes remaining.

Littleport Town also edged home in their encounter with lowly Wisbech Town Reserves.

Most Read

The game remained goalless at the break but Sean Ambrose's strike proved to be decisive.

Fordham scored three goals in a fixture for the first time this season but still surrendered the points to newly-promoted Eaton Socon.

Sam James gave Fordham the lead but Eaton Socon led 2-1 at the break and extended their lead to 5-1 in the second half.

Fordham reduced the deficit with goals from James and Jose Mendez-Monteiro, but they went down 5-3.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves have just one point from their opening four games after suffering an odd-goal-in-five defeat at Comberton United.

Stephen Bell cancelled out Comberton's early advantage with a sensational acute-angled drive from the left-wing, but the hosts were ahead at the interval and led 3-1 before Rob Franks pulled one back with a close-range effort.


SOHAM United ended a run of four successive defeats in all competitions by drawing 2-2 at home to Littleport Town Reserves.

Jason Parker and Bobby Fenn put United 2-0 up at half-time but Littleport bounced back with Mark Talbot's brace and could easily have won it.

Haddenham Rovers faced Cherry Hinton but after two successive victories were unable to lower the colours of the current leaders.

John Lee was on target for the hosts, but his side were beaten 2-1 on the day.


ELY City A moved to the top of the table after a 3-1 victory at Eaton Socon Reserves.

Tom Hoppitt got them off to the perfect start, and eventually went on to complete his hat-trick as newly-promoted City ran out comfortable winners.


STRETHAM Hotspurs continued their fine start with three second half goals in the win at Lode.

Gary Careless broke the deadlock midway through the second half before skipper John Lewis scored twice to clinch the points.

The Vine remain pointless following a 4-3 defeat at Godmanchester Rovers Reserves, and Isleham United Reserves are in a similar position after going down by the odd-goal-in-five at home to Hemingfords United Reserves.

Sutton United are back in business winning 3-0 at the expense of Milton Reserves.

Matthew Keys' double and a Courtney Harrison goal gave United the win. Keeper Lloyd Brown produced a crucial penalty save when the match was still goalless.

Pymoor FC crashed 5-1 at home to leaders Wisbech St Mary Reserves, and Witchford '96 dropped their first points of the campaign as they were humbled 6-2 at Newmarket White Lion.


LITTLE Downham Swifts were elated after a 2-0 home win against short-handed Fordham Reserves.

Both Luke Williams and Nicholas Burton produced spectacular strikes in a convincing victory.

Sutton United Reserves, meanwhile, have made a shock withdrawal from the league.

"We had to fold through lack of support and a lack of commitment from the players," said Sutton United correspondent Ed Frear.


TOM Thatcher made it 11 goals in three games as he accounted for the lion's share of Burwell Swifts Reserves' goals in the 6-3 win at Upwell Athletic.

Thatcher opened the scoring and went on to net four. Carl Saxby and John Irvine completed the rout.

Little Downham Swifts Reserves were also in action, missing two penalties in the 3-1 defeat at Estover Park.

Lewis Chambers scored for Swifts, but their luck ran out as Steven Martin and Dean Martin both failed with attempts from the penalty spot.


AARON Lee helped himself to four goals as Soham United Reserves progressed at the expense of The Vine Reserves.

Lee's haul was complemented by Stuart Freeland, Marcus Lock and Dan Kerrison as United ran out 7-1 winners. Giles Hennebry scored The Vine's solitary goal.

Wicken Amateurs were beaten 6-1 at Wisbech St Mary A and Isleham United Reserves crashed 4-0 at Emneth Seniors Reserves, but Ely Crusaders are through to the next round after coming from behind to beat Outwell Swifts Reserves 5-3.

Ben Stone and Jim Rolfe put them 2-0 up, but Crusaders were in trouble after conceding three goals.

The visitors were not to be denied and a Phil Shepherd hat-trick eventually saw them through.


TRIPLE-S dropped their first Senior Division points of the season, losing 3-1 at Bar Hill.

Ben Howe put them in front but the hosts levelled after the break and established a 3-1 lead despite having a man sent off.

Triple-S were also reduced to 10 men when Ben Brown was dismissed with 15 minutes remaining.

Ely Park Rangers returned to winning ways at the expense of fast-fading Fen Ditton.

David Cornwell (2), Rory Hutton and Andrew Lee (penalty) were amongst the scorers in a 5-1 win.

Ely Park Rangers Reserves suffered a shock 2-1 home defeat against Bar Hill Reserves.

Matt Brodie was on target for Ely, but his side were unable to preserve their 100 per cent record.

QPR Ely won 4-1 at Alma in Division 2A, whilst in the same section Village Inn came from a goal down to defeat Over Crusaders 7-5.

Mark Heading's brace and a Tom Parrish hat-trick proved to be the difference for Village Inn.

In Division 3A Fox Burwell were held 2-2 at Newnham Rangers, while in Division 4A there was a 7-0 defeat awaiting Little Downham United in their visit to Jockeys of Newmarket.