Steve’s scorching road ride
SUPER Steve Presland finally asserted his authority on the leader board during Ely and District Cycling Club s latest time trial. A scorching performance saw Presland record the fastest time of the night, 22min 54sec, with an average speed of 26mph, on th
SUPER Steve Presland finally asserted his authority on the leader board during Ely and District Cycling Club's latest time trial.
A scorching performance saw Presland record the fastest time of the night, 22min 54sec, with an average speed of 26mph, on the 10 mile course on the A142.
Fenland road star Alan Newark came second in 23:02, while Geoff Brewster recorded an impressive third best time of 23:53.
Eighteen riders battling against the clock, and youngster Ben Stephen, fresh from his debut the previous week, impressed with 31:43, while regulars making a comeback included Tom Sykes (24:30) and Ray Legg (28:42).
You may also want to watch:
New rider Gordon Hollingworth rode particularly well in his first Ely appearance, making the Witchford finish in 25:50.
Away from the tandem this week, Colin and Celia Whitechurch put in some fine solo times with 24:12 and 29:11 respectively, while a mere five seconds split Andy Stephen and George Webb's fine rides in the scramble for placings, finishing ninth and 10th respectively.
- 1 Illegal poachers stopped in their tracks by eagle-eyed public
- 2 Dramatic pictures catch harvester on fire in 4am blaze
- 3 Police pursuit of suspected hare coursers ends in success
- 4 Mosque trust named RIBA client of the year 2021
- 5 'Loving, caring family man' dies in hospital weeks after A141 crash
- 6 Meet the star cast of Christmas pantomime Sleeping Beauty
- 7 Police investigation after village pavilion covered in graffiti
- 8 Council expects to spend £2.4m less on older people due to 'Covid loss'
- 9 US jets to practice flypast over Suffolk this morning
- 10 Lisa Leader makes it to Germany for life prolonging treatment
Ely and District's next event is the 13-mile Sutton-Haddenham circuit on May 8.
Riders should meet at 6.45pm, at the Elean Industrial Estate, Sutton.
Newcomers are welcome.
INFO: Telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862 or go to www.elycyclingclub.com