Steve’s scorching road ride
SUPER Steve Presland finally asserted his authority on the leader board during Ely and District Cycling Club s latest time trial. A scorching performance saw Presland record the fastest time of the night, 22min 54sec, with an average speed of 26mph, on th
SUPER Steve Presland finally asserted his authority on the leader board during Ely and District Cycling Club's latest time trial.
A scorching performance saw Presland record the fastest time of the night, 22min 54sec, with an average speed of 26mph, on the 10 mile course on the A142.
Fenland road star Alan Newark came second in 23:02, while Geoff Brewster recorded an impressive third best time of 23:53.
Eighteen riders battling against the clock, and youngster Ben Stephen, fresh from his debut the previous week, impressed with 31:43, while regulars making a comeback included Tom Sykes (24:30) and Ray Legg (28:42).
New rider Gordon Hollingworth rode particularly well in his first Ely appearance, making the Witchford finish in 25:50.
Away from the tandem this week, Colin and Celia Whitechurch put in some fine solo times with 24:12 and 29:11 respectively, while a mere five seconds split Andy Stephen and George Webb's fine rides in the scramble for placings, finishing ninth and 10th respectively.
- 1 Person hit by train between Manea and Peterborough
- 2 First visit not 'a flying success' but pub deserves second chance
- 3 Sanctuary Housing criticised over empty homes in Ely
- 4 Lorna’s successful plea to remove £3 shower charge for disabled visitors to The Hive
- 5 MP officially begins new era for major UK supplier
- 6 'Cuckooing' drug dealer caught with cocaine to the value of £3,670
- 7 Hunt is on for arsonists after 5am car fire
- 8 Fire crews called to car fire on railway line
- 9 Child shot in face by BB gun bought at summer festival
- 10 Huntingdon and Peterborough hospitals bring back masks after rise in Covid numbers
Ely and District's next event is the 13-mile Sutton-Haddenham circuit on May 8.
Riders should meet at 6.45pm, at the Elean Industrial Estate, Sutton.
Newcomers are welcome.
INFO: Telephone Marc Cox on 01223 263862 or go to www.elycyclingclub.com