Steve Green's Junior Football League Round-up

JUNIOR FOOTBALL KERSHAW PREMIER DIVISION LITTLEPORT Town handed local rivals Ely City Reserves only their second defeat in 15 league outings on Saturday, virtually ending any hopes of the Robins claiming the Premier Division title. City dominated the op



LITTLEPORT Town handed local rivals Ely City Reserves only their second defeat in 15 league outings on Saturday, virtually ending any hopes of the Robins claiming the Premier Division title.

City dominated the opening 45 minutes, but the match was goalless at the break and it was the hosts who broke the deadlock immediately afterwards.

Nigel Smith - a former player-manager at Ely - flicked the ball through City's defensive line, and Will Ludbrooke finished well to make it 1-0.

Ely got back on terms when a long clearance from goalkeeper Leigh Follen eluded 'Port's otherwise impressive 'keeper Martin Hampshire, but with 15 minutes lively substitute Jamie Linney rounded Follen to score what proved to be the 2-1 winner.

Most Read

Fordham meanwhile crashed 5-0 at Cambridge University Press.


SOHAM Town Rangers Reserves produced a great midweek performance to thrash leaders Lakenheath 6-0.

Jonathan Brown's cross-cum-shot fluked Soham into an early lead, and Alex Irvine doubled the advantage before Scott Fretwell added number three.

Irvine then made it 4-0 from the penalty spot, but there was then a flurry of activity which could have affected the result either way.

Lee Moll was red-carded for Soham, goalkeeper Gavin Wiseman saved a penalty, and the Lakenheath 'keeper received his marching orders as tempers started to fray.

Alan Clements - who accounted for all four goals in the under-18 team's 4-1 defeat of their Ely City counterparts - made it 5-0 before Ross Knappett wrapped things up from the penalty spot.


SOHAM United are up to eighth spot after defeating Swavesey Institute 3-0.

Teenager Tom Clayton made an impressive debut at full-back, whilst at the other end Steve Dalby, Stuart Freeland and a visiting defender provided the hosts with goals.

Richard Lupson was on target for Littleport Town Reserves at home to Outwell Swifts, but the hosts were eventually beaten by the odd goal in three.


TOM Hoppitt and Stuart Seekings both scored twice as Ely City A kept their promotion hopes alive with an emphatic 8-0 win at St Ives Rangers.


SUTTON United surrendered top spot after losing 2-1 at home to struggling Godmanchester Rovers Reserves.

Sutton missed several chances before Godmanchester scored, and although they pulled one back before the break they didn't do enough to salvage a point.

Wisbech St Mary Reserves replaced Sutton at the head of affairs by winning 5-1 at The Vine, and Hemingfords United Reserves increased the pressure on Sutton's promotion bid by recording a 3-1 success at Witchford '96.


SOHAM United Reserves remain in the bottom two after losing narrowly against leaders March Rangers.

Eighteen-year old Danny Batts put United 2-0 up, but the hosts pulled one back before half-time and ran out winners near the finish.

The same 3-2 scoreline saw Haddenham Rovers Reserves lose at home to St Ives Town A despite goals from Matthew Bruce and Bruno Hermengildo, and Fordham Reserves were also beaten at home - 2-0 by Newmarket Town A.

A Chris Silvain goal earned Mepal Sports a 1-1 draw at Bluntisham Rangers Reserves, and Ely Crusaders took three points at the expense of Wisbech St Mary A because the visitors failed to turn up.


BURWELL Swifts are within two points of leaders Hemingfords United A after recording their sixth win in seven league outings at Cottenham United B.

Man-of-the-match Glenn Carman opened the scoring after Carl Saxby's fifth minute shot had been saved, and he then rounded the goalkeeper to score from Alan Nash's crossfield pass midway through the half.

Carman then lobbed the goalkeeper to complete his hat-trick before half-time, and Nathan Hull tapped home at the second time of asking before Carman made it 5-0 with his fourth goal of the game in the closing stages.

Wicken Amateurs remain third after intended hosts Swavesey Institute Reserves failed to raise a side, whilst at the bottom of the table The Vine Reserves replaced Barton Mills Reserves in the bottom two after losing 3-0 to their fellow strugglers.


LITTLE Downham Swifts Reserves went down by the odd goal in seven in their match at Coldham United.


BURWELL Swifts Reserves failed in their bid to reach the final of the competition, losing to their Longstanton counterparts in extra-time.

They trailed 2-0 before Tom Thatcher's 50th goal of the season gave them renewed impetus, and the striker then levelled matters from the penalty spot after Simon Hurrion had been brought down.

Burwell looked the likelier winners throughout the second period and during extra-time, but in the 115th minute a defensive catastrophe handed Longstanton the 3-2 win.



A TIGHT affair saw Triple-S go down by the only goal of the game in extra-time against Senior Division rivals Bar Hill.

There were few chances at either end, but a near post header at the start of extra-time was sufficient to hand Bar Hill the trophy.


TOM Hoppitt's hat-trick was instrumental in Ely Park Rangers Reserves' 5-1 defeat of hosts Bar Hill Reserves in Division 1A, but the club's Senior Division first team were humiliated 11-2 at home by Kingston Foresters.

Village Inn shared the spoils 2-2 with Exning United Reserves in Division 2A, but there was bad news for local sides in Divisions 3 and 4.

Wilburton Albion's 3A title hopes were extinguished by a 4-0 defeat at Milton Sunday, and in Division 4A Wicken Maids Head had their limitations exposed by champions-elect NCI, who beat them 10-3.