Squash star Ryan runs out as winner in Ely Squash and Leisure’s Club Tournament
- Credit: Archant
Ely Squash and Leisure’s Ryan Bamber ended his Club Tournament jinx by lifting the trophy after a two-year wait.
Bamber had been beaten by his brother and club number one, Ben Mitchell, in the final of the competition for the past two years, but finally got his hands on the trophy after securing a 3-2 victory over Mitchell in this year’s final.
Ryan, who is club number two, also experienced success in the Handicap Competition, beating Ben Cross 2-0 in the final.
Finally, in the club’s Plate Competition, which was for players knocked out in the first round of the main tournament, Lee Moll overcame Simon Cooper 3-1.
The quality achieved by both Bamber and Mitchell bodes well for the club’s next year in the Cambridgeshire League, where they finished a very creditable second in League 3 in the 2015-16 season. Promotion to League 2 is still a possibility.
You may also want to watch:
ESL, situated next to Ely Rugby Club, is looking for new members, and has players of all standards and ages; many of them playing in the internal club leagues. For more information, call 01353 662156.
- 1 HGV crashes into car damaged in earlier incident
- 2 Our archives reveal the 'crackpot' idea to re-open disused rail lines
- 3 Caravan wedged under Fens rail bridge
- 4 Rowdy passengers force train cancellation
- 5 See photos of the intricate final stages of the Huntingdon Viaduct removal
- 6 Daughter sets fire to father's bedroom after food outrage
- 7 Drunk driver failed to spot police car parked next to her
- 8 Have your say on plans to improve city rail station
- 9 7 questions that could decide if you truly are from the Fens
- 10 Police buy clothes for Iranian children rescued from lorry