Squash: Ely top Divison 3 table after impressive victory
- Credit: Archant
Ely Squash and Leisure’s bright start to life in Division 3 of the Cambridge Squash League continued with a convincing 20-3 victory over Comberton II last Wednesday.
In a match delayed by traffic issues, the match at court number 5 was given as a walk over to Ely as the Comberton player was unable to attend. At court number 4, Jamie Woor won 3-1 in a hard fought match against a tricky opponent. Woor’s game looked like going into a 5th game, before the Ely player came out on top 22-20 in the 4th game.
Making his debut for Ely was new member Linden Beattie. Linden never looked troubled in a convincing 3-0 win at court number 3.
Ryan Bamber continued his 100% start to the season with a comfortable 3-1 victory at court number 2. A temporary loss of concentration in the second game led to the match being tied at 1-1 but this was soon forgotten when he regained his focus and comfortably won the 3rd and 4th game to come out on top.
The match of the night was at court number 1 with Ben Mitchell winning 3-1 against a very impressive 16-year-old opponent. The match was tightly contested with some superb rallies to watch but Ben came out on top to also continue his 100% start to the season.
You may also want to watch:
Ely now top the Division 3 league table, and will face their first big test of the season on Monday 19th October when they play fourth-placed Peterborough III.
- 1 Woman has heart attack and dies in ambulance waiting for a hospital bed
- 2 Crews tackle huge Fens blaze
- 3 'I think I hurt him bad mum' says Murder on the Doorstep killer
- 4 £330,000 fraudster burning evidence as police raid his home
- 5 Crash driver flees leaving female passenger injured
- 6 Stanley, 95, publishes first book to beat lockdown blues
- 7 Residents asked to share ideas on how improve cycling and walking in East Cambs town
- 8 Fundraiser for mum with terminal cancer to 'have a good Christmas with her family'
- 9 Golf club's £8,850 donation for dementia singing charity All In Sound
- 10 ‘I’m Lovin It’ burglars caught by McDonald's trip